Author Topic: Wrought Iron  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Wrought Iron
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
This is a picture of a small section of fencing given to me by a descendant of a family that is largely responsible for the settling of this valley. It is very old, I'm not sure and neither was he, but it is thought to be pre-civil war. The stiles are one inch square. I guess my question is for Mr. Everett, seeing how he works with this material routinely, but anyone with information is welcome to add whatever they have.
Is the rust removed before you start with any forging, or does it fall off as scale? I have plans to forge this into many different things as well as a small caliber pistol barrel.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: Wrought Iron
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Robby,

Thanks for the question, it is great to see your interest in using the original material.  No, you do not need to remove the rust before forging, only remove any really loose corrosion.

Caution!!!  If the material has been painted, it was probably painted with lead oxide based paint.  It is best to remove the paint first before forging, otherwise you end up breathing lead fumes which is not good for your health.  Remove any paint with that chemical stripper stuff, if you wire brush or grind the paint off you again end up with the airborn lead.

Let me know how everything turns out.

Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:50:52 AM »
Hmmmm, 1" square pistol barrels... I see what you're thinking Jim! HAhahaha.

Great find. I have Iron Envy.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »
Thanks Jim!
Yes Acer, I'm sure that is the case. ::)
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »
Robby,
   Good thread, I also have found some wrought iron.  Can't wait till cooler weather come around.  Found the original flat iron bar's from the town jail,just waiting for someone like me to use them.  Planning a few hawks myself.  While in Oklahoma I've been befriended by the local blacksmith association. Way cool, been learning alot and have found many hard to find tools.  Also learning a little about coppersmithing.

Rich