Author Topic: Removing antique screw barrel  (Read 3475 times)

culpeperlt

Removing antique screw barrel
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
I recently purchased an antique screw barrel pistol.  Already checked and insured it is not loaded.  I would like to remove the barrel both to clean the bore and breech area better and be able to show how this type firearm works.  I could make a key to slip over the barrel and lug, but since its probably going to be rather tight having not been removed for so long, is there a better way to go at it?  It should be essentially the same as removing the breech plug from a round barrel.  Any suggestions?

Offline Artificer

Re: Removing antique screw barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
I would be concerned the barrel screw threads were rusted in place.  If you can’t turn the barrel off without using too much force, it will probably require soaking in penetrating oil.  I used to use Kroil for that, but found a product called “PB Blaster” is even better.  However, it MAY take the finish off the barrel, so I would try it first in the bottom rear of the barrel where the stock would hide it to see what it would do to the original finish. 
Gus

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
“PB Blaster” is even better.  However, it MAY take the finish off the barrel,
PB Blaster will only dissolve "red" rust.  It won't harm "converted" rust as found in browning.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »
Check to see if there is a load in it.  :o
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

culpeperlt

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll give that a try and can also pour some down the inside, which should penetrate the treads equally as well.

Yes, always good advice to check for a load on receiving an antique firearm.  That was the first thing I did.

Thanks,

Kyle

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:17 AM »
I bought a screw barrel pistol a few years and could not get the barrel unscrewed.  I soaked the whole barrel in a mixture of half acetone and half transmission fluid, a mixture that Popular Mechanics magazine says is far superior to any of the commercial penetrating oils.  After a few days of soaking in the mixture the barrel unscrewed easily with no harm at all to the finish.

billd

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
Jim,   
you beat me to it.  An old time mechanic told me that recipe many years ago.
Best stuff I've ever used.

Bill

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:13 AM »
Jim,
Thanks for the forumala of Acetone and Transmission fluid.  Will definitely try that.
Gus

culpeperlt

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
Thanks, will have to give that a try.