Author Topic: gunbuilding dvd  (Read 3529 times)

Luke

gunbuilding dvd
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:12:53 AM »
good day to all,been looking for a good gunbuilding instructional dvd,that goes from start to finish,since i can't have all you guys standing around me in my shop.i saw that hershal house has one out,any suggestions,maybe all you guys with 2000 ,4000 post should get together and put one together,it would be a good one. thanks guys.luke

DB

Re: gunbuilding dvd
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:10 AM »
Buy the Herschel House DVD. You won't regret it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »
Herschel does a really good job on the basics start to finish. I love the squirrel at the end. I have the second tape Kentucky rifle building part dux, as well as the Hawken rifle building also using Herschel. All are very useful but you are still missing bits and pieces on certain things. like on the Hawken build. you go from looking at the breach plug parts on the barrel to a breach and tang perfectly joined. How bout the fitting of the lock plate to the breach so the hammer through is perfectly lined up on the nipple. So there are a few holes in that one but over all I have enjoyed them all. I do go back to review some of them from time to time.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
Hershel's DVD is not perfect, but for a newcomer with no other instuction, it is a very good tutorial. Let ther ALR fill in the gaps.
I would like to recomend Mark Silvers DVD on gunstocking. Another class act DVD!
Eric Smith

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
The best one I've seen is by Mike Miller "Buiding a Kentucky pistol" .He builds from a blank and shows most of the steps Herschel skips. I'd recommend it even if you are going to build a rifle. A lot of the steps are identical .

Best regards
Rolf

Don Tripp

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
Jim Turpin's video is a good one for beginners. I've only seen the first one where he builds a Leman rifle. Hershel's videos are a must. In my opinion he is a National treasure but he goes pretty fast and at times it seems as though it is assumed that the viewer already has a basic degree of knowledge whereas Jim Turpin slows it down and explains some basic techniques.

Peter Alexander's five tape series was the absolute best, hands down for instructional value but it's no longer available. I wish They would either get it out in DVD or release an updated DVD with the updated book that has been rumored for a year or more.

DB

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
I agree.  It is a shame that Peter Alexander DVD and book are not available.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
Jim Turpins DVD's are real good also, and Mike Miller's pistol building is excellent. I just don't see what is the problem with reprinting the Peter Alexander book and tapes when there seams to be a substantial demand. Can anyone shed some light on that?
Eric Smith