Author Topic: Wood Rot?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Wood Rot?
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:25:09 AM »
I found this inside my stock blank Its on the bottom side directly under the breech. I still have some wood left to take off, so I'm not worried. But what is the fix if it shows up on final wood ? That's the test hole for the ramrod hole next to it. Came out perfect.

Some will suggest an inlay, but it could pop up at the wrong spot for an inlay.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:32:52 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Wood Rot?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:19 AM »
Just build your gun. Stain right over that spot. So what if you have a dark spot?

However, if you're working away, and you find a huge area of ingrown bark, then you have other problems.  :o

By the way, the current gun I'm working on has large sections of dark heartwood at the breech and heel of butt. Now that it's stained, I don't even see that tonal difference anymore.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:40:11 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:41:37 AM »
Oh, duh, is that inside the bbl channel? Don't even think about it, if that's so.

... and glad to hear about the RR hole coming out well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:42:04 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »
It looks like a bark inclusion. Happens in real wood. If it comes through the finished side and it is hard shouldn't be a problem. Stain will hide it. If it is soft some properly stained epoxy will fix it. The other alternative a little more work but will do a nice job. Take a matching piece of wood and make a patch like a dutchman. taper it on both ends and glue in. Or if it's not very large use a gouge and remove a tapered chip, take a matching piece of wood and make a similar chip with the same gouge, Glue in the chip, clamp with rubber bands or surgical tubing when dried sand to match. Looks as if it is in a no stress area. But after it's stained and finished you won't be able to find it.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:50 AM »
   As stated above it is a bark inclusion, and will not materially affect the strength of your stock.   I would wait until everything has been inletted and fill it with some appropriately stained epoxy sand it smooth and finish over it.  It looks like it will be just to the side of your triggerguard inlet. (now why couldn't it have been under the T.G,.)   Oh, BTW usually the test holes for a R.R.channel are drilled from the barrel inlet down, not from the bottom of the stock up.   It is no big thing as the T.G. will cover it.    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:06:59 AM »
I think this one will be gone after I rasp down to the final line. No worries!
Eric Smith

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »
  As stated above it is a bark inclusion, and will not materially affect the strength of your stock.   I would wait until everything has been inletted and fill it with some appropriately stained epoxy sand it smooth and finish over it.  It looks like it will be just to the side of your triggerguard inlet. (now why couldn't it have been under the T.G,.)   Oh, BTW usually the test holes for a R.R.channel are drilled from the barrel inlet down, not from the bottom of the stock up.   It is no big thing as the T.G. will cover it.    Ron

I drilled 4 test holes into the barrel channel and 1 under at the breech. The TG will cover. Just wanted to know how much wood could come off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:32:32 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith