Author Topic: Style question??  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

Style question??
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:04:18 AM »
This is a horn that I just recently completed and I would like those of you who know more about styles and periods to take an objective look and tell me what is right or wrong about this horn as a F&I style.
Thanks ,Ron

Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Hornbuilder

• Starting Member
Re: Style question??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
I'm by no means an expert in anything, but I believe your horn certainly fits for the F&I period with a home spun accent !! I like it !!!

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
Ron, The only thing I can see that is negative, would to keep a close eye on the lobes. Make sure when you draw them out that they are even. I usually draw a line around the horn at a 90 degrees and then using some heavy paper, cut a circle out and measure up from the line so you can lay your circle on the horn and get them both the same height. If you take a look, the one is a good bit higher than the other one.
Besides that, its a right fine looking horn. Your work is coming along just fine. I have been watching your artistry I prove on the horners bench. Keep up the good work Ron.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
Thank you Griz and hornbuilder. I appreciate your imput.

Ron
Member of the CLA

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »
Ron I love the fact you're always improving and not afraid to tackle something new.  On first impressions your horn definitely fits withing the F&I style and agree with Tim's comment on the lobes.  I'd also add that the area after the ring looks 'pinched' making your 'line' look off.  It could also just be the picture and/or my eyes too. 
Keep up your good work. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
  Gary, I see what you mean and although it is a little bit the fault of my picture taking I do think the throat could stand a little more thinning in the center. This would help with the pinched look and improve the line. See what you think>

Ron
Member of the CLA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »
 I would agree with Tim and Gary. Nice job on the carving. Where will the strap go, at the tip or in the groove? Are you going to age/color it? I think it would morph into a totally different horn, maybe the next one.

Tim C.   

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »
It's a nice horn. Nothing wrong with it, for sure!
Eric Smith

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »
Well Tim caught me. I kinda forgot the strap ring. I was thinking of appling one after the fact???
I am going to do some refining on a couple of things on this horn so we will now call it a work in progress.
Tim I am going to do some light coloring after I get a few wrinkles out.

Ron
Member of the CLA