Author Topic: New Douglas Barrel question  (Read 4388 times)

McClary

New Douglas Barrel question
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Hello everyone, I have a question about an unused Douglas barrel that has been in a corner collecting dust for way to many years. The barrel is marked GR Douglas on the flat with the most drill runout. It is a .45 cal. x 7/8" x 44" long. When I bought the barrel I was told that I needed to cut 2" off of the muzzle for best accuracy because of cutter chatter when the cutters cleared the muzzle. I would like to leave it 44" long but not if I sacrifice accuracy. What was the correct way to use these Douglas barrels? Cut 2" off or leave as is?  Its time to put it to use.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: New Douglas Barrel question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
Iv'e used many. I don't think 2 in. is necessary under most circumstances. Every barrel is a little different. But at least an inch. Consider 40 in. X 7/8 th x .45 - a classic off hand barrel. Not to heavy. A little hang. And not to short for a longrifle look.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
I am like Bill in that I cut an inch off the muzzle of the barrel.  I also cut the 7/8 across the flats barrels in .40 and .45 cal back to 40 or 42 inch lengths depending on the customers wants.  I have used several over the years and have never had one that didn't shoot well, just have to install the breech with the correct location for the runout.
                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »
Look at the muzzle closely or put a tightly patched ball in it and see if there is any rough spots.Push the patched ball all the way to within an inch of the threads and then push it slowly out to the muzzle until it falls on the floor and see if it feels smooth all the way, If it presents no problems like having the patch catch and come off the ball,I would use it.

Bob Roller

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
Jeepers, do all barrels need cutting off at the muzzle? Rice, Colerain, Green Mtn, or just an old Douglas?
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Look at the muzzle closely or put a tightly patched ball in it and see if there is any rough spots.Push the patched ball all the way to within an inch of the threads and then push it slowly out to the muzzle until it falls on the floor and see if it feels smooth all the way, If it presents no problems like having the patch catch and come off the ball,I would use it.

Bob Roller

Good advice.
To add to that: when pushing the ball from breech to muzzle, and it feels tighter as you approach the muzzle, that is also a good thing. If the push suddenly gets easier, then the bore is bigger, so cut the larger section off, and keep the tight. You have to make marks on the rod to know where the ball is.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »
Smitty.........no need to trim the muzzles on those barrels you mentioned, they are not made the same way Douglas barrels were made.   I used a Douglas, 7/8" 45 cal. barrel on my first rifle.   I trimmed some off the muzzle, I think it was
only about 1/8", mainly because the corners of all the flats were rounded off, and unless I am mistaken, it had the cal. and twist stamped on the muzzle end.    I also crowned the barrel with a needle file, each land and groove.....barrel shot
great.....so much for having that perfect muzzle............Don

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the info, Don. I had never heard of that one before.
Eric Smith

McClary

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
Don, you are correct. The muzzle end of barrel has the caliber and twist stamped on it, so a little bit has to be trimmed or filed off. Gentlemen I thank you all for replying to my question. I will push a patched ball thru and see what I get, then make a decision on trimming. I am leaning towards trimming an inch off just to be on the safe side. Thanks again.
McClary
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:39:20 PM by McClary »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
maybe a barrelmaker can answer this: Is a cut rifled barrel true right to the end, and a button rifled barrel need its ends cut off?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.