Author Topic: Nicholson #49 vrs Auriou Rasp  (Read 18195 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Nicholson #49 vrs Auriou Rasp
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:49:45 AM »
  I have a Nicholson #49 paternmakers rasp. I am currently involved in my 1st build with a blank stock. My #49 rasp has been put to the test many times over the last 30 days of on and off building ( I work in a paper mill, it requires a lot of my time.)  :( While the #49 has done a fair job of taking off wood when required, I cannot help but ask myself, " Wonder how much quicker this job would be with one of those Auriou rasps they keep on harping about?"
  Just for the record, for anyone who may be following my progress on this build, (You know who you are,) its coming along OK, so far. The barrel is inlet, the ramrod channel is formed and the ramrod hole is drilled. 95% + of the profile has been cut out. I have found one thing to be true, for every 1 question answered by experience, 2 more pop up in its place. Kinda like weeds.
  One more thing. This blank is a #3 grade sugar maple from Dunlaps, so I'm not ruining an extra fine piece of curly maple.

Best Regards to you all,     Eric Smith
Eric Smith

Offline heinz

Re: Nicholson #49 vrs Auriou Rasp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »
Eric, I hace an Auriou 12 inch no 3 grain rasp.  I removes stock like a circular grinder.  It is harsh in its cut with a small amount of splintering so care is required and it is not a finishing tool.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:45:42 AM »
I have a 10" 9 grain, and it leaves a sweet finish, ready for scraping.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Phillip Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:58:30 AM »
I have the 3 grain auriou rasp for a lot of stock removal and I follow it up with the Nicholson #50 and have been satisfied with the results. However I don't have the #49 to compare it to. It does make some deep cuts and you must know when to stop and select another rasp.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:15:36 AM »
Try a spokeshave.  It never wears out.  Buy one and use it for a lifetime.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »
Sometimes quicker is not always better, especially when you are just starting out.  Good arcitecture is the backbone of a nice rifle.  The #49 has been my workhorse when I needed a rasp for longer than I can remember.  I just acquired an Auriou about a year ago.  The Auriou is a nice rasp but the # 49 is more than sufficient.
Dave

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
Dave,  I take it you still are using a USA made Nicholson 49.  The Brazil made Nicholsons are a whole other matter.   Take the greatest care of your USA Nicholsons, as they are no more.   The Brazil made ones are about as sharp as a worn out USA made one.  I complained to Nicholson about the sharpness of my new Brazil made rasp and they very generously sent me a half dozen new rasps---all equally dull.  I guess my next rasp will be the big $$ French one...
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
Dave,  I take it you still are using a USA made Nicholson 49.  The Brazil made Nicholsons are a whole other matter.   Take the greatest care of your USA Nicholsons, as they are no more.   The Brazil made ones are about as sharp as a worn out USA made one.  I complained to Nicholson about the sharpness of my new Brazil made rasp and they very generously sent me a half dozen new rasps---all equally dull.  I guess my next rasp will be the big $$ French one...
Ron,
I agree with your assessment of the Brazilian made rasps.  Just received an order of 6 new Nicholson files from Enco.  All foreign made.  The other day I was in a high end tool supply house picking up some sanding discs and happened to spy the file rack.  Since all the Nicholson's are made in Brazil I thought I would check out the Simond's files.  Same story, all made in China.  Is there any place a guy can still purchase good American made files?
David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »
Swiss and French still make files.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »
Good American made files/rasps are as rare as a football bat and about the only places that may have them are hardware stores with NOS
(New Old Stock) from honored American makers. These imported ones are,as you say about like a half worn old American file. The new ones I have are from Portugal and seem "soft"to me. Flea markets?Maybe. Most tools found there are rusty. The German made Pferd seem OK but the ones I have are needle files. Who would one complain to about the wretched quality of these tools and would there be any positive results? I also am fed up with seeing old and respected American names on 4th rate tools but that seems to be the accepted thing now.

Bob Roller

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
Is there an American distributer of Pferd files?
Eric Smith

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »
I got a set of rasps by Pferd from Traditional Woodworker Supply seen here http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Rasp-and-File-Set-8-pc-w-Leather-Roll-File-Card-Made-in-Germany/productinfo/825-0017/    I have found them to do the job well.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
Lower quality hand tools such as files is just a sign of the times. The vast majority of consumers see a file as something to perhaps de-bur a piece of machined steel with.  Very few even understand what a good file is and what can be done with it.  The age of hand work is disappearing.

billd

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:40 AM »
A few years ago Dixon's had files for sale made down south somewhere, maybe Georgia.  Can't remember the name but they were decent for the money.  I don't think he had any wood rasps. 

Bill

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:34 AM »
The age of hand work is disappearing.

S'truth, sadly.

However, groups like ALR are carrying the torch as much as we can. There are many special interest artisans who have taken their work to new levels, way beyond 18th and 19th century work, gunwork, jewelry, engraving, boatbuilding, you name it.

But the average guy doesn't know how to fix a spring on a screen door. That's what's lost: the 'can do' mechanical skill of mass America. It's not just the skills that are lost, it's the brain development that goes with the use of tools and materials.

When the demand for fine tools goes down, production get limited, or gets phased out. So I do my best to keep the tool guys in business!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »
Just compared a number three against my US number 49.
I would say comparable.
The 3 seems to leave slightly deeper scratches so you would need to stop just a little sooner but not much.
The size of the 3 is on my opinion an advantage for large removal as it moves easier for me.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »
When the demand for fine tools goes down, production get limited, or gets phased out. So I do my best to keep the tool guys in business!
[/quote]

Did my best to keep the tool guys in business today. Ordered an Auriou rasp. I can't stand to think of working with inferior tools. I didn't know about an Auriou till I had allready bought the #49 Nicholson, else I would have bought an Auriou to start with.  Goodbye Brazilian rasp!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:41:52 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Luke

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 06:01:44 AM »
i to have an arurio #9 it does a great job,used it on shapeing a walnut stock,did great just had to keep the price of it to myself.but you get what you pay for

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
With all the talk of hand cut rasps, has anyone here ever tried this brand? .......Kerry
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Files/Dragon_Hand-cut_Rasps/Dragon_Large_Hand-cut_Rasp.html

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
    I bought two of the Pferd rasps and was less than pleased.   As James said they were well made and came with nice hand filling handles, but did not have that razor sharp quality to the teeth.  Yes they will remove wood, but certainly not slice it cleanly without a lot of effort.     They are almost new and are residing in my bucket of used files and rasps that I am saving for something?   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
I have never heard of Auriou rasps or files but if they are top of the line tools,let us know where to get them and the "How much"will take care of itself. I use the German Pferd needle files in both "as is" and modified versions I alter myself. The same goes for larger files.

Bob Roller

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
Here you go Bob,

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/auriou-rasps.aspx

They are even more expensive than the jewelers saw I just bought. Time is money but, but, but  ??? ??? ???

Michael

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
I have both the Nickolson and Auriou rasps. The Auriou seem cut smoother. However I am using spokeshaves for most of my stock shaping and only use the rasps where the spokeshaves won't work. My Auriou seem to be getting dull so I'm going to send the out to get 'sharpened'. The Dragon rasps look interesting, may buy the fine cut and give it a try.

Don Tripp

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
With all the talk of hand cut rasps, has anyone here ever tried this brand? .......Kerry
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Files/Dragon_Hand-cut_Rasps/Dragon_Large_Hand-cut_Rasp.html

These look very interesting. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. It's so disheartening when a company like Nicholson chooses to diminish the quality of their products. Especially when the products like the # 49 and #50 rasp were depended upon by so many craftsmen for such a long time.

Meteorman

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »
haven't tried the Pferd rasps, and based on Ron's experience probably won't.
but I do have a Pferd "wood file", one of their cabinet files, and I'm pleased with it.
http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201e/201e02/201e0201P.html
for me, it's a perfect step between rasp and scraper. 
/mike