Author Topic: Pros and Cons  (Read 7511 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Pros and Cons
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
Being that  NSW NWTG kit is in my future (a rifle build muddies the water), I'd like to hear some pros, cons and preferences.  Choices are a canoe gun - let's call it a Kanoo gun so as to prevent flaming - 12.5" lop (my rifle lop, by the way) and 20" barrel OR a NWTG with a 30" barrel and lop to be determined by helpful comments.

Can we do this, guys?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

HardBall

Re: Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »
I've thought about building a tradegun for myself and like the 20-bore, 30" combo.  Can't help you much with the LOP.  I'm a bit of a knuckle dragger so I've gotten used to shooting longguns with a shorter than ideal LOP.  I have no idea what it would be like to shoot one with a LOP thats too long.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20014.0 pretty good stuff on measuring a stock.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
Great stuff!  Thanks for the link.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:12 AM »
Hanshi I cant comment on the LOP but I have a 30 inch barrel on my 12 ga english game gun and I love the thing for spring turkey hunting. Its short but not too, and its light which is good for walking and calling and holding it up waiting on mr longbeard to make his move. Good luck to ya ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »
I had a NWG for a while.  No idea of LOP (it was a bench copy of one of the guns at the MFT), 30" 24 gauge barrel.  Light, pointed well.  Not the gun for use with steel shot, but otherwise a great hunting gun. 

I was of the opinion that there was nothing on earth I wouldn't hunt with it, right up to the point when I got to look at a grizz over the sights at close range.  I gave up on trade guns and went to a Brown Bess for a lot of years.  During that time I tried out a couple of "canoe guns" but found they handled poorly for wing shooting, and when shooting ball I did better with an honest pistol. 

If I were going back to a NWG, I'd stick with a 30" 24 gauge barrel.  If the stock were too long I suspect I'd just saw it off and not replace the buttplate: I've seen a few that were shortened at the butt, but none of them had the buttplate re-fit. 

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:31:09 AM »
I have a full length northstar 24 by the curley before he died.
It is so light and balanced I can't imagine why anyone would shorten one.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
I'm with the guys for a full length stock and shorter barrel if that's what you want.  I'm inclined to what to hit what I shoot at, and the super short stock of most 'canoe guns' will be a large detriment to hitting, I believe.

I had one, a .50 rifle, and it shot fine off the bench, but hasa LOP that was long enough to shoulder, a 13".  I would not go shorter. I put a rifle barrel on it and it's very accurate and a favourite for trail walks.

northmn

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
LOP is personal, but NWTG's are notorious for too straight a stock.  Some were copied off originals and the Natives complained about them also.  A smoothbore should fit you.  That includes drop at the comb, or it will kick you in the cheek.  A NWTG can be built to fit out of a plank, but I do not know if any are made out of kits.  A lot of original guns had the cheek area scooped out to accomodate this problem.  As fit is personal I cannot give you any answers but try some modern shotguns that fit you and go from there.  I have used a 12 with 30" barrels and would not go any shorter.

DP

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
I've got to admit that I've never had a problem with cheek smack from any of a couple hundred long guns that have passed through my hands.  The NSW canoe gun has an lop of 12.5" which is my lop.  Basically I fit right into the upper range of "youth" size guns.  Alas, some of us never seemed to grow. :'(

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »
 My first trade gun was a chiefs grade 20 ga. with a thirty inch barrel, I built from scratch. I never have found a trader that shot better. I currently have a Curly era standard trader, with a 42" barrel, and although it is well balanced, its not a handy length, and I like the drop in the chiefs grade better. If I was building another short trader, and my focused was more on round ball shooting, than shot shooting, I would build a chiefs grade, with a 30" barrel, in .58 cal., they just shoot flatter.
 The canoe gun is great, if you just want something all tacked up, to make your camp look woodsy, but unless you do a lot of horseback outings, its impractical. JMHO.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
A consideration for me is that I don't want a gun that comes past my chin with the butt plate resting on the ground and the canoe gun just barely makes it. ;) :D ;D

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
 The length of pull is a given in this instance and is what you require. There are some downsides to the very short barrel, though. Velocity will be somewhat lower and you have a shorter sighting plane as well. Personally, I would be reluctant to go below a 30" barrel length for these reasons.
                                                    Dan

HardBall

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »
A consideration for me is that I don't want a gun that comes past my chin with the butt plate resting on the ground and the canoe gun just barely makes it. ;) :D ;D

NorthStarWest's canoe gun supposedly measures 35" with a 20" barrel, are you saying this would come to about mid-throat on you?  If so, I think I see your logic in wanting a shorter gun. 

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
I would double check on that, HardBall, but I can't seem to reach the tape measure. ;)

All seriousness aside, the kit is a bit cheaper (and I am too) than longer ones. 8)

HardBall

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »
All seriousness aside, the kit is a bit cheaper (and I am too) than longer ones. 8)

Ahh... I see that it is- I wasn't aware of that initially.  In that case, I vote for the 24ga / 58cal.  Cheaper on lead and it would have to be easier on the shoulder than a 20ga.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:02:05 AM »
Something to consider, HardBall.  I do have a Lyman .562" mold from the 1960s.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 02:46:02 AM »
I had one of Curly's in 12 bore with a 30" bl.  it was not fun to shoot and had me flinching so badly, it took many years of shooting a .45 and .40 to reduce that and I still flinch now and then.

Offline heinz

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Daryl, rolling on the floor laughing over the 12ga Gostomsky post.  I think I heard Curly say only a Canadian would shoot a round ball in one of those ;-)
And sure, that flinch would have nothing at all to do with those 60s and 62s you are so fond of!
kind regards, heinz

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
I do have a .62 - no .60 although a couple .58's and yes, you have a point, the .69 is my favourite. ;D