Author Topic: More Pictures..Identify gunsmith tools  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
More Pictures..Identify gunsmith tools
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Can anyone identify the tools here?  I know the taps ,dies,cherries,wrenches,gravers ( I thought the corn cob graver was especially cool)   The star like tool has me shaking my head.  The 1 with the wing nut is also interesting. The taps appear to be all handmade as well as the cherries. The box they were in was made with square nails. Many Thanks to fullstock longrifle for his contribution to the gun shop!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:35:35 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: identify gunsmith tools
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
Rob,

This is truly a wonderful set of tools, and it is great that it will be well taken care of now.  Could you do a little extra work and take some detailed, closeup photos of the individual tools and post them?  Don't you wish they could talk to us today!  The tool in the upper right appears to be the main part of a bow drill with a lantern stock to hold the bits.  Earlier I posted a similar tool from the Fry brothers gunshop in Ligonier, PA.  Here they are again, maybe you could do a restoration of the drill based on this complete drill.

Jim

[
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:12:00 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: identify gunsmith tools
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
Thanks Jim that's exactly the kind of knowledge I was looking for I think It is in fact a bow drill There were some other parts in the box I'm gonna look and see if maybe the other part is in there and I just didn't know it went together The thing between 2 dies on the left is spring loaded I don't know what it is.  There was another thing in the box that looked like clock gears and I'm wondering if it was to set springs.  The only thing I haven't found are some in letting tools. Thanks again Jim
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Help to identify gunsmith tools
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:13 AM »
Rob,

I am pretty sure that the item in the middle of the top row (with different size holes and split down the middle with two clamp screws on either end) is a relatively modern tool for swaging a flare on tubing for use with the appropriate nuts and fittings (like AN or JIC or refrigeration fittings).  The tubing end is clamped in the appropriate size hole with the end protruding a little.  Then a conical swage, which I don't see in the group, clamps around the split clamp above the tube end and is driven by a screw down against the end of the tube to flare it.  I think that one got mixed in somewhere along the way but is not really an old gunsmithing tool.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:02:13 AM »
Dave. Its threaded inside?

Rob,

I am pretty sure that the item in the middle of the top row (with different size holes and split down the middle with two clamp screws on either end) is a relatively modern tool for swaging a flare on tubing for use with the appropriate nuts and fittings (like AN or JIC or refrigeration fittings).  The tubing end is clamped in the appropriate size hole with the end protruding a little.  Then a conical swage, which I don't see in the group, clamps around the split clamp above the tube end and is driven by a screw down against the end of the tube to flare it.  I think that one got mixed in somewhere along the way but is not really an old gunsmithing tool.

Dave C

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »
Rob,

If it's part of a flaring tool, those aren't threads.  They are circumferential grooves to grip the tubing while it is being flared so that the conical flare swage doesn't just push the tube out of the split clamp block as it is applied to the end of the tube to make the flare.

Here is a modern one:

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/pipe_flaring_tool.jpg

and here

http://www.harts-allservice-plumbing.com/plumbing-tools-pipe-flaring.html

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline heelerau

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
Rob,

Dave C
The said tool is for flairing copper brake lines and the like, I have an identical one bought from tool mart some years ago. It is missing the t screw and clamp that does the flairing. The threads are there to grip the pipe and stop it from slipping through went flairing.

Cheers

Gordon.   Ps the starwheel thingy may be for marking holes for either stitching or lacing leather.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
Guess i wont be needing that. Thanks for your help. Any ideas on the wingnut piece

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:23:17 PM »
This 1 doesn't have sharp edges so it can't be for cutting for sewing leather Anybody have any ideas

The 2 stars can spin independently in opposite directions and it looks like you slipped something between the petals to cut it
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:28:46 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

ROSIE

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
Could it be a dressing wheel for a grinding stone?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »
Not sure I've never seen one.  One of these tools appears to be for punching circles in the end of muzzles
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:30:28 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline okieboy

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »
 I'm with David L., that looks like part of a grinding stone dresser; they are called "star dressers", but the modern ones look a little different. Does it appear that it could have been attached to a handle?
Okieboy

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Someone went to a lot of trouble to make it, whatever it is. I don't think its a dressing wheel. With that rabbeted out area it looks as though something might have rode in there. Does it show any wear marks anywhere that aren't evident in the photo?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
There was also a pair of hand forged pliers in this box marked J P 1886 and I understand the box is from new york.  Does that ring any bells?  A file turned into a die cutter is marked patterson on 1 side and cast on the other. The other die cutter is marked j bundersohn burnen. The wingnut tool is marked.   .....app & co.  Sheffield.  Does anybody recognize any of these makers
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:05:07 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: More Pictures..Identify gunsmith tools
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
I'm interested in the cylinder with conical hole in it and metal band around the end.
Anybody know it's purpose.  The rest of the tools, the pliers marked J P and the
box itself are added.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »
I'm interested in the cylinder with conical hole in it and metal band around the end.
Anybody know it's purpose.
It's construction is very similar to that used to expand exhaust pipes.  It would have a tapered bolt, large at the bottom end and threaded smaller at the top.  I doubt it would have been used as an expander unless it was used to make brass or horn round.  Otherwise, it would lock into a cylinder for some other purpose.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:04:17 AM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »
Could it be some sort of chuck?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.