Author Topic: gap  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Daniel

gap
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »
I would like to know how much gap between the hammer and plate on a Chambers Virginia lock is acceptable.
I have some , and can't seem to get the hammer to seat down any tighter on the tumbler.

Thank you,
Daniel
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Eric Smith

Re: gap
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »
Good question! When I reasembled  my lock, I thought the same thing!
Eric Smith

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:26:46 AM »
The cock needs to clear the lockplate.  You don't want it scraping!  I guess more than 1/16" would seem a little much.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:17 AM »
I assume this is a flint. If so look at where the back side of the cock strikes the plate when in a released state. If the step in the cock is bearing fully against the plate I wouldn't be concerned too much. If its not fully engaged, I would support the tumbler shaft with a punch held in a vise and use a piece of wood (struck with a hammer) to drive the cock further down on the shaft. Hope this makes sense.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:18:56 AM »
Makes clear since to me . Thank you for the help.
The cock is bearing fully on the plate.

Thank you for the help.
Daniel
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
One thing I have learned on this forum, you have found more things to worry about than I could ever imagine..........Don

chuck-ia

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »
Don,Thats cause we don't know any better, most times we don't know when good enough is good enough, and sometimes make things worse trying to get it better. I would love to hang out with someone with your experience for a day or two. chuck

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »
Here,Here, me too!
Eric Smith

Trkdriver99

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
Well it is like this Don, we not sure how it is right and we have all you wonderful, experinced and very capable friends here on the internet who will help and not call us bad names. Otherwise we would just go at it like it is.

Thanks to all you experts who help us rookies.

Ronnie