Author Topic: cutting inlays,patchboxes  (Read 11381 times)

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: cutting inlays,patchboxes
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Here is how I see it, largely from personal experience.  I find myself shifting to methods that don't require as many consumable tools / products.  Jewelers saw blades certainly fall into this category.  Abrasive paper is another.  Maybe I'm just cheap or perhaps too lazy to always keep things on hand.  I expect the same approach was not uncommon in the original period in question.

McClary

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »
I just built my first patchbox two weeks ago. I glued a paper pattern to my brass plate and rough cut close with a hack saw and used a small half round magicicut file to get almost there. Then finished up with needle files. It worked great, same way that Hershel house does in his video. IMO if you are just starting to build long rifles there are more important tools to get first. I may have a jewelers saw some day but it won't be until I have all the chisels, gravers, and more important tools first.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
McClary,  How many piercings did your patchbox and sideplates have, and how did you cut them?
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

JohnTyg

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Another obvious advantage in using paper patterns glued to a patch box, or especially on a tang when designing and cutting out the thumbnail (that other recent thread) is symmetry. Folding the paper pattern on the midline of the design makes it especially easy to obtain this when designing it and cutting it out.

John

PS: Finally replaced my cracked butt plate with an identical casting, looks good.

McClary

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
LUCKY RA, my patch box and side plates didn't have any piercings, if I was going to have them I would first drill holes then file them out. I am a beginner at this hobby and as I said in my post, my money could be better spent on more important tools - drill press - band saw -better chisels.  Some day I will have them all!!!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
I am sure many smiths cut their stuff out with a chisel. But don't think that means ALL, especially as the work became more sophisticated, and the workshop was able to invest more in tooling.

Jacob Kuntz, ca 1810
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:15:06 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »
Tom,
Looking back over this thread I don't see where anyone said or even implied that all patchboxes were roughed out with a chisel. I raised the question of whether anyone had documentation of an American gunsmith building longrifles having a jeweler's saw and mentioned that I had seen a few that showed evidence of chisel being used.

Most that I have been able to examine show a filed edge with no remaining evidence of either chisel or saw cuts. The files that were used seem to have had much courser teeth than what is commonly available in needle files today. (On some edges the file marks are so rough that I would be worried about pulling wood when taking the box out of the stock.) The course toothed file, in the hands of a skilled maker, can make quick work of shaping sheet brass.

Gary

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com