Author Topic: Ramrod taper and pipe size  (Read 2930 times)

Offline James

Ramrod taper and pipe size
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
For the sake of my ignorance, if I am using a .60 cal barrel and wish to taper the ramrod from 3/8" to 5/16", should the inside diameter of the entry pipe be 3/8" same as the forward 2 or 3, or just over 5/16" ? This has rolled around in my head too much and I'd like to know the correct way. Thanks, Jim
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Ramrod taper and pipe size
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
James,
I will tell you how I do mine, not sure if its "correct" or not. If I am making the entry pipe and thimbles I will step the sizes to fit my tapered rr. To me it just makes sense to have the holes be a close fit when the ram rod is fully seated.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
I taper the thimbles down a touch from muzzle to entry. But most of the rod taper happens in the wood of the forestock. I also leave a slight 'bell' at the muzzle end of the rod. It looks better.

Shameless self-promotion  ;D: use a ramrod scraper to fit the rod to the thimbles and fore end.
http://thosmachine.wordpress.com/2009/07/19/ramrod-scraper/
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't sure if the eye would notice the external dimension difference of the thimbles as much as it would a gap around the rod at the entry. You have cleared my head for my next confusion, thanks  :D

Tom, I think I need one of your scrapers as I am working with my own hickory splits and the drawknife to curved cabinet scraper method I've been using is not an effective method.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »
Hey Tom,

Have you made any lately?  Are you drilling holes to hang them with now? ;)

I haven't lost mine yet, but it's just a mater of time.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:03:39 PM »
  I do  'em similar to the way Acer described.  The rod is more or less straight between the entry thimble and the forward thimble with taper up front and in the rod hole.

Kevin