Author Topic: TG & BP For Soddy Build??  (Read 6111 times)

billm

TG & BP For Soddy Build??
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:04:41 AM »
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/bp-sm-1-i_0.jpg

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/tg-tn-2-hf-i_0.jpg

would these be ok for a soddy daisey build?I wish i knew how to forge but for now i have to buy them.Also what triggers would be appropriate?

Thanks Bill
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:23:48 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline JCKelly

Re: soddy build
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »
Being ignorant of Soddy I'll chance looking the fool, but

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs2cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=8143434.21528&product=Triggerguards&user4=Investment Cast

has a wax-cast steel Bean trigger guard.

In general, muzzleloadingbuilderssupply has a good selection of hardware.

billm

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:22 AM »
.I am going to do a soddy,or my best attempt,lol like the flint one in the virtual museum.I think i saw it on ken guys website fist,what a neat gun.The cheeckpiece is really cool.I cant find a triggerguard like the gun in the pics,tracks is the closest,any ideas where to get one made?

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/ALRLIBRARY/LONG%20RIFLE/Soddy-Daisy/A.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/ALRLIBRARY/LONG%20RIFLE/Soddy-Daisy/B.jpg
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:31:40 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
Love that gun!!!! I had to make my own.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
 The buttplate would be OK, though you might want to refine its shape. None of Tracks trigger guards (nor any commercial castings that I know about) are exactly what is wanted. Tracks TG-SM-1-I or TG-TN-1-I are probably closest. TG-TN-1-I needs that closed loop modified, but is forged steel, so it can be bent far more than the castings, but check that there is enough room for the triggers. I advise that you don't use any Bean style trigger guards, because they yell "Northeastern Tennessee!".
 I really like Davis triggers (#4 or #6) because they are so crisp and fast, but once again you will need to do some grinding to make their looks more appropriate. The Davis trigger plate is cast and does not take well to bending, which can be a pain. I wish that they offered a machined from bar plate, even as a higher cost alternative, to allow them to be compatible with different wrist profiles.
 The influences of that butt plate and cheek piece can be carried through clear to the muzzle cap.
Okieboy

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: TG & BP For Soddy Build??
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
billm:

If I were going to build this gun, and call it a Soddy Daisy, I would make the butt plate, and trigger guard, if I could. Soddy Daisy buttplates have a very pronounced curve, and a long heavy heel that aren't present on any of the production parts I am aware of. Production trigger guards for the most part are styled after examples of one of the Bean family gunsmiths, and don't really look much like the guard shown. I think your choice is make a Soddy Daisy, with hand made parts, or don't call it a Soddy Daisy. JMHO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
billm:

Actually after looking more closely at the buttplate you picture, it could me used with a little work. But, I think the trigger guard is a little light, and would require so much re-work it might be easier to jus make one. TTYL.

Hungry Horse

R.W.D.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. If I were you I would just learn how to make these items myself. It's really not that hard to do although if you're like me you will screw up a couple before you get one correct. I love the S.M. rifles and I didn't want to put an off the shelf cookie cutter buttplate and triggerguard on mine. The gunsmiths of the time made their own and they are all a little different.

Ross

ironwolf

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
  By the time you find something that's just kinda' close at best and then doctor it up to look faux forged, You coulda' built the stuff yourself.
The satisfaction is indescribable ;)

KW

R.W.D.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
+1 :)

Ross

billm

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
thanks for the input.I do have a good friend who is a real deal blacksmith and has a huge blacksmith shop,does it for a living. I can have him look over my shoulder and I can make it myself.I will buy those parts from track and then make my stuff using the bought parts as a guide.Your also right about the satifaction of making it yourself,for my last build i made my triggerguard from sheetbrass and pipes to.My goal is to get the gun close to the look of the original.I want a gun to squirrel hunt with and shoot  at matches so i am doing a 40 cal with 13/16 barrel.thanks for the replies.

billm

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
if someone could send me a tracing of TG and BP that would help me out

R.W.D.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
If you have a friend that is a blacksmith you are much further along than I was. You are a lucky man. Go to Ken Guy's Tenn. hog rifle site. He has some great photos of period rifles as does this site. If you have a trigger guard just use it to get some rough measurements. You can do this and the reward is great! Good Luck! Just go for it, don't settle for off-the-shelf parts. :)

Ross

billm

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:19:19 AM »
Thanks, I am going to have my friend forge me the tg bp and patchbox and will get some lessons while im at it.I am getting some tracings of a period gun and will start when I get them.Thanks alot.