Author Topic: Southern Rifle, latest build  (Read 5236 times)

Offline gibster

Southern Rifle, latest build
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »
OK guys, here is my latest attempt to build a southern mountain rifle.  I did not attempt to copy any particular maker or school.  I only wanted to build what would have been “typical” for the southern mountain area and time frame.   I finished the rifle several months ago and am finally getting around to posting it for comments.  I used a .50 caliber Bill Large barrel, 44-inches long and a precarved stock that I had for quite a while.  I wish that I could have made the comb a little higher, but with a precarved stock, you work with what you have ;D.  No idea who did the precarve or how long ago.  After final shaping, the stock was scraped, not sanded.  The triggers are an original set that I’ve had for awhile, so I recycled them.  The lock plate is an original flint plate that was in a bunch of stuff I traded for a while back.  I also had an original flint hammer that I used.  All the internals are Large Siler.  I wanted to use the idea of a percussion conversion where the gunsmith used what he had available.  The nipple is completely covered when the hammer contacts the nipple, so there is no debris from the percussion cap when firing the rifle.  All the iron mounts are hand made.  It was made without a butt plate, but has a toe plate that wraps around the toe for protection, and it has a heel plate.  The front sight is made from a silver quarter and inlayed directly into the barrel, no dovetail.  Overall, the rifle has been lightly antiqued to resemble a well cared for, but used original rifle.  The rifle shoots very well with 60-grains of FFFG and a .490 round ball.  I welcome your comments, both good and bad.  I want to learn and I can’t do that without honest feedback.  Thanks.

Offline dogcreek

Re: Southern Rifle, latest build
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:40:31 AM »
I don't know much about Southern rifles but that is a graceful-looking gun and would look great in the hands of any deer hunter! Thanks for sharing. Have you shot it yet?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:53 AM »
Don't know much about southern rifles either, but I think it's cool!  I like the scraped finish, toe plate and the "caplock conversion" execution.  The cheek piece may be a little oversize (tall).... but that's just my opinion.  Nice color. I'm glad to hear it shoots good.  :)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:10 AM »
I like it! Nice sleek lines and excellent wood to metal etc.  Mostly I like that you created it and put a little of the past in it!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline draken

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »
Nice slender, graceful looking rifle.   I like the old look of it. :)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

HardBall

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
I love the "old" look, especially the wood finish.  To me, southern rifles look better with some miles on them.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
Attractive gun. I like the lock,very cool. Your inletting is very good also and I like your antiqueing job.
 I don't like you heel and toe plates, never found they are usefull...probably just me. Don't like the decoration on the sideplate, doesn't go with the rest of the gun. Barrel is too deep in the wood. Maybe a little deeper crescent in the butt would have been good too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
I like what you have done....Like Mike said, a little deeper inlet with the barrel would have been better....I would take the silver solder off the front sight....Takes just a couple of minutes....Its a neat gun....Good "backwoodsy" piece....Thanks for the pics....

Meteorman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »
I like it a lot. 
Won't see another like her, I'd offer.
the buttstock looks a little pudgy to me, mostly in the upper half  --- but maybe that's an illusion from having a flattop comb and/or the beefy cheekpiece. 
the concave radius on top of the side panel could be extended back a hair to eliminate that little step you see on the top-down view - that thing sorta whispers "pre-carve". 
and I agree - great antiqueing job.
/mike

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Overall, a slim-looking and attractive gun, I really like the old lock and your aging treatment.  But, since you asked, and in the spirit of constructive criticism, I'll offer a few comments;  you need to work on your screw heads and countersinks as these look rough and unfinished, some of your screw slots are bungled, and the screw heads don't sit down as far as they should.  I also don't care for the curvature of the butt, and I feel that if a gun has a metal forend and a rear ramrod pipe, it ought to have a butplate to visually balance it out - just my opinion.  Also, the comb is weak, and your transition from wrist to comb needs work.  Finally, the cheekpiece looks huge and out of place.  Again, I offer these as my opinions, and as hopefully useful criticism.  Keep it up!

Offline gibster

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  That's what I am looking for.  Some of what was pointed out I had already looked at and am trying to decide if I will leave as is or work on it.  Once a rifle is done, I struggle with re-working it.  It's one of those things that I can go back to and see how not to do something.  I do appreciate the comments and the constructive criticism.  No hurt feelings here, it's helpful.  My next build is from a blank (already have it and a Douglas 13/16 x .45 barrel).  Will probably go with the same general style of rifle and see how it turns out.  Thanks again.
Gibster

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Nice graceful lines on that gun.  It has a beautiful wrist. As already mentioned, I too noticed how the wood dives down at the nosecap. I think you could have shown more barrel flat and avoided that.

Real nice job making your own hardware.