Author Topic: Recommend wood working tools  (Read 7500 times)

HardBall

Recommend wood working tools
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
I'm trying to acquire the basic woodworking tools I'll need to build my first flintlock rifle, a Jim Chambers kit.

TOW has Solingen and there's also Mascot and Swiss Made brand tools.  Can anyone recommend one of these brands, and which specific tools I'll likely need for finishing the rifle, and doing some simple incise and relief carving?

If it matters I plan to practice carving on maple stock scraps first.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:48:24 PM by HardBall »

Offline Eric Smith

Re: Recommend wood working tools
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »
Many people recommended Phiel chisels and gouges when I became interested in buying some woodworking tools, so I went with them. I have not regretted it.
Eric Smith

HardBall

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Thanks, E.  It looks like Phiel makes "Swiss Made" brand tools mentioned in my carving DVD.

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
Hardball, the first step is to learn how to sharpen the chisels and gouges id you are going to be working on maple or walnut.
I Have Pfeil gouge which E Smith noted is a very good product.  You can by them from Lie Nielsen who also has some sharpening equipment and some excellent tutorials on their You tube site on sharpening techniques.  Mr Lie Nielsen also has a book he wrote in how to sharpen almost anything, but I am presuming you need help in that area and you may not.
I have an older set of Millers Falls carving tools that are OK but you need to sharpen them often, or at least touch them up often.
I have a few antique gouges and chisels, Wade and Butcher is always very good, Buck Bros. are excellent.  Anything made before the second world war in the better hardware store brands like Eversharp, Pexto, or the hardware store grade Stanleys can be sharpened to give good service.
Do not overlook getting several good planes for smoothing work.  Lie Nielsen has great products and they are priced accordingly.  Old Stanleys in good shape in the smaller sizes can be found and tune d up a bit.  Veritas products are also good and you can see them reasonably priced on the Lee Valley Tools website.
Have fun, get a really good black Arkansas stone to keep things sharp as you use them, an a box of good bandaids
kind regards, heinz

HardBall

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
I've got a DVD by Jack Brooks on incise and relief carving.  The DVD starts out with him showing how to sharpen his tools.  Upon my first viewing, I thought he was spending a lot of time on sharpening... I was expecting carving.  By the time he got to relief carving, however, I completely understand why he first showed the viewers how to sharpen their tools.

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
Offhand, I know I've got Pfeil, Dastra, Millers Falls, PS&W/Pexto, and Addis . . .  of the better modern stuff, Pfeil and Two Cherries are the easiest to source.  Dastra can be more difficult to find (but I like the handles).  Older stuff: Addis seems to have a collector following, but Millers Falls and PS&W (Peck Stowe and Wilcox I think, later "Pexto") are both good.  Buck Brothers varied over time--I have some later Buck Brothers chisels I re-ground into screwdrivers.  My trigger-inletting chisel is an 1/8" Wade and Butcher mortise chisel (of the type sometimes called a "pigsticker"). 

Whatever you get, start with a basic set (maybe 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 1" chisels and 1/4" and 3/8" gouges), then fill in as you need them.  And definitely learn to sharpen.  You can do more with a basic set of tools well-sharpened than you could with "one of everything" that are not sharp. 

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »
Sean, I have Jack Brooks DVD and it ia a good one. You might like Wallace Gusler's DVD in carving as well.
Eric Smith

HardBall

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
I guess I'll end up getting Pfeil.  On Jack Brooks carving DVD he lists twelve tools for most carving needs.  I'm going to make a list of those and perhaps narrow it down a bit further.

There's several other carving engraving dvd's that I want to get.  I imagine each will have their own tool suggestions.

Don Tripp

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »
I have Pfeil, Two Cherries and Henry Taylor brand tools and other cheaper stuf that does not compare. A Stanley Sureform is handy to have. The best $1.99 that you'll ever spend will be for an Xacto Knife.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
For carving, read this post for some simple tools: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12.0
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
Start simple, and build on your tools only as you need them. One can easily talk oneself into to buying too many tools.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
I have also foundf these micro chisels to be helpful.

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/Micro-Tools/products/103/

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

HardBall

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
For carving, read this post for some simple tools: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12.0

Thanks for the link, Acer.  Creating the line that follows the bottom of the stock, tapering, from the toe to the rear of the trigger area is very important to me; I love the looks of it and if I can do no other "carving" on my first rifle I at least one to have that, along with a line following the forearm along the ramrod channel.

This is the Chambers kit I'll be doing and I'd like to recreate this one as close as I can to the pictures.  I love the spartan carving work on this rifle.  http://www.flintlocks.com/RK-13.htm

Only one of my DVD's describes how to do this line, a Jim Turpin DVD, and he really only touches the subject.  One of my books, Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle also touches on how to do this line, but not in much detail.

I have another book coming Recreating the American Longrifle and a 3-dvd set from Ron Ehlert.  These may describe how to do this "line" a little better?

I spoke with a gentleman from Pecatonica Rifle Supply and he should have some more stock "scraps" in a few weeks.  I'm going to buy some of these leftover scraps in maple to practice carving on before I dig into my actual rifle stock.