Author Topic: ? mark patterns on patch box  (Read 3042 times)

McClary

? mark patterns on patch box
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
How do you fellows mark your patterns on brass patch boxes to engrave them? I just engraved my first one and had a heck of a time seeing my lines. I tried white h2o paint, china white in a marking pen, and a #4 pencil nothing would leave a very good line. Should I get a block of china white next time? The stuff in the marking pen wouldn't dissolve very well

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: ? mark patterns on patch box
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
I use this stuff,  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1003/1
seems similar to acrylic artists color. Paint the entire surface that you are going to engrave, then draw your design on in pencil then engrave through it. Works pretty well. remove it all with a rag dipped in denatured wood alcohol to clean up.  I like this because you don't get all that metalic glare off the surface while you're engraving.

another method that has been talked about here, that I haven't tried is to make a reverse copy with a laser printer position it and wipe the back with Wood Alcohol (I think) when it dries peal off the template and the lines will transfer to the brass or steel. Again clean up with Alcohol.

hope this helps.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
I use a rattle can of flat white enamel paint. After the pattern is engraved, I soak the patchbox in Purple power, or some other super de-greaser, the paint will just fall off. I then do a final polish. I learned this from an old engraver, that worked gun show out here on the west coast. He was standing out behind a building at a gun show, painting the frame of a Colt Python, so I asked him what he was doing. It turned out to be one of the best tips I ever got.

Hungry Horse

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
 In case anyone interprets this as applying a coat of white paint to your parts, this is not so.  Only a light dusting with the spray can held at a distance is required.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
I sand the brass to about 320, 360 or even 400 grit.  I then rub on a thin film of China White on the brass with my wetted finger.  Draw the design with a sharp pencil (5mm) and engrave.  Good light and a dull finish are key.  I then remove the China White with paint thinner and remove any small burrs with 400 and then polish with 600 grit wet or dry paper and finish it off with few licks of 0000 steel wool.
David

MarkEngraver

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
My own method is to remove the parts and mount them to a backing board for support, then lightly spray paint with a flat white primer, draw your design, engrave through the paint, remove paint with 0000 steel wool , acetone, paint remover, etc.

The nice thing about this " spray paint" method is it will protect the polish/finish on the piece while you engrave ( baring your skipping out of the line and running a gouge line across the surface!)
I employ this method on high polished Colt SAAs,  it protects the surface, gives you a surface to draw on that can be erased/corrected , and you can" lightly" sand any burrs off without marring the polish job (although I generally come back with a flat bottom graver and cut them off ) And there is no need to do any re- polishing.

This also works for Blued parts and it will protect the Blue.
Spray paint, cut , Cold Blue the cuts, then remove with acetone. The paint will keep the Blue  from getting "burned" or corrupted by the Cold Blue.  Have done this for customers that don't want to have to re-blue after engraving or are trying to preserve the original Blue of the gun.

Mark