Author Topic: Flat Horn W/Bands  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Flat Horn W/Bands
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »

It is about 11 ¼” around the outside curve. The base is Pine, about 2 ¾” X 1, held in with 8 wooden pegs, with nail in it for the strap. The tip is Whitetail antler, held with 3 steel pins. The bands are held in place with 4 steel pins.
 As always any comments, pro or con are welcome.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:35:15 PM by Tim Crosby »

cjarrett

Re: Flat Horn W/Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
Could you explain the procedure for making this type of horn. Are he bands place on the horn before or after you flatten it.

RoaringBull

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
I don't see any cons with it...looks great to me!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
 The horn is scraped to the desired, finished thickness and the tip area is shaped or tapered to fit an applied tip. At this point fit your bands, while the horn is still round. Rough fit raw, once you get them were you think they will fit them boil them until soft put them on a cone and turn them to shape, now try them on the round horn again. Adjust as necessary, may mean making another band or two, scraping the horn or rasping the inside of the band a bit, this may help. The final fit will come below.
 Then it is heated, I still use boiling water but a lot of guys use hot oil. After the heat, in water an hour or so, it is put into the press. As the press is tightened the horn will begin to flatten out put a wedge in the center and a couple on either side, these two should have the edges on one side slightly rounded, wedges 1, 2, 3, 2 in the center.  Have a couple of narrower wedges handy to tap in between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 to help spread 1 & 3 into the corners. I have different size sets of wedges, 5/16, 3/8, ½, ¾ & 1”, depending on the size of horn. I have seen arched wedges used to fit curves, but have never had the need for them.  
  Crank the press down as tight as you can get it + a ¼ turn :D let it sit a couple days. Once out you can flatten things out more if you want with a scraper. Cut a flat piece of wood the thickness of the horn, wrap a strip of leather around it and soak it, stick it inside to hold it, may take some playing around.
  Even the base off and fit the plug, straight sides and about 10 degs on the ends. Rub a soft pencil around the inside of the horn press the plug in, take it out and remove the areas where the pencil marks transferred, until you reach the depth you want.  
 Now for the bands; they are boiled until soft and pressed down on the horn, they may stretch some and fit further down then they did when round. You can tap them a bit but be warned, must be done hot, fast and They may break, not all horn is equal so what works on one may not on another.
 This is probably more than you wanted but it works for me and there are other ways, I hope it helps.
  The Horners Hench has a tutorial, with pix, that will help you more I’m sure. Here's a link, I hope they don't mind.      

http://thehornersbench.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=howto&action=display&thread=2688

Tim C.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:58:06 PM by Tim Crosby »

cjarrett

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
Thanks Tim. I greatly appreciate the lesson. I need to put this on my to do list.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »
Tim, I like this one. WAs the double curve on of those fortunate things or did you try to get it that way.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

lonehunter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:59 AM »
Cool little horn!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
That came out very nice Tim. I might point out to others that if you use a fat horn and flatten it, it will look like a sail as John Shorb says. A thin horn gives a pleasing look like you got on this one.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Tim, I like this one. WAs the double curve on of those fortunate things or did you try to get it that way.

Ron

Just the natural curve in the horn.

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
I really like that one Tim.  Unusual, with really pleasing lines.  Also appreciate the tips on how to go about it.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Horner75

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
Tim, The Horner's Bench website always welcomes a good plug (No pun intended), as well as welcome new visitors and members!

I think the main things to remember in making any flat horn is:  Keep the horn hot and press it slow and in stages!

Some horns take two or three heats before obtaining the final pressed stage ..... and last!  Leave the horn in the clamps or vise at least a full 24 hours or it might start trying to retain some of it's original rounder state, especially the thicker walled horns!

Rick

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:34:34 AM by Horner75 »