Author Topic: Horns for a Tenn. Mtn. Rifle?  (Read 4365 times)

Vomitus

Horns for a Tenn. Mtn. Rifle?
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
  What style of horns would be correct for a flint Tennessee Mtn. Rifle? Any pictures will be most welcome.Thanks in advance.LB
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:15:26 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Gun Butcher

Re: Horns for a Tenn. Mtn. Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:00:11 AM »
Leather belly, jusy my two cents worth but I would think the plainer the better.
Get one as homespun looking as possible.
The one I have pictured below was found with a Tn. rifle . Most people that have seen it say it is much newer than the rifle,but something like this would be perfect.
Ron

Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

lonehunter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »
Or maybe something like this
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:08:33 AM by lonehunter »

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the plug James.
Member of the CLA

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »
Hi Leatherbelly, the size of the horn will coincide with the caliber of your rifle. I have a pretty good collection of southern powder horns. I posted several a while back here in the accoutrements section. One of my favorites is this simple horn, probably made for a small bore rifle. 
Joel Hall

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25:18 AM »
 Joel, I really like that one. With your permission I may have to make myself a copy.

Ron
Member of the CLA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
Hi Leatherbelly, the size of the horn will coincide with the caliber of your rifle. I have a pretty good collection of southern powder horns. I posted several a while back here in the accoutrements section. One of my favorites is this simple horn, probably made for a small bore rifle. 

Neat horn, looks like there atr two large holes just below the staple. Do you think it had a second staple in it? Also, does it look like there was ever a finial on the base for a strap and the staples were added later?

Thnaks, Tim C.

PS: Don't mean to hijack the thread.TC

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
Hi Tim, the base plug on this horn has no signs of any attachment finials. I did not want to show the chip carving to Leatherbelly as a true Tennessee powder horn would most likely have a plain plug in my opinion. The spout end and general shape of this horn would work nicely for his purpose. The dual carved rings hold on to a strap wonderfully with no slippage. I believe there was a second staple originally on this horn where the holes are located. Gun Butcher, you have my permission to copy this horn if you like. Good luck and enjoy!.......Joel  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:16:12 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
 Thanks gents for your input.Keep 'im coming. It's for a smallbore,a forty. My charge is 70gr.of Goex 2f and our local trailwalk has 60 stations.Sometimes we shoot multiples at any one given station so a little better then 1 pound will be needed. I've got  a couple of smaller horns that are OK for competition as they hold under a pound but for our home trail I need to bring two of them. Timbuck II, one day I'd like one of yours! Thanks again gents,LB.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »
Just a thought.  The style of the horn would coincide with the workmanship of the rifle.  If it is a very plain rifle,  (Poor Hillbilly) then I would expect it to be plain as well.  function before finesse.  If the rifle is a fancy one, with alot of brass or silver or alot of iron, then the owner would probably have bought a more decorative type horn and not had to make his own after the fall slaughter.