Author Topic: Selma North Carolina Patch Knives  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Selma North Carolina Patch Knives
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »
I came across these patch knives in an antique shop in Selma. 7 1'2 inches
and 6".  The smaller has poured pewter I believe........UPDATE, my trusted advisor
tells me they are likely reshaped 19th century tableware.  Chalk up another one to
inexperience.  There seem to be an aweful lot of things left to learn here.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:31:12 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Selma North Carolina Patch Knives
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
  I would agree with your adviser, but nice knives none the less.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »
Question......are you concentrating on 18th century stuff for your museum or do you have 19th century stuff too?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:42:54 AM »
Question......are you concentrating on 18th century stuff for your museum or do you have 19th century stuff too?
I would like it to represent the 1840 to 1880 period when Shreckengoat was active.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
Scary goat?? ;D I have a hand made patch knife that looks not unlike those knives in the photo. Even if it is only modified kitchenware, they would still work fine. I have done the same on one of my bags, an bone handled sheffield knife.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:36:43 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
Rob,
You got a PM.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »
The steel in those table knives is pretty good, and will take a razor sharp edge...as an avid collector of antique leather tools, I have found them similarly reshaped and/or worn down to a nub being used by cobblers in their kits as sole knives etc ...I don't think you should preclude their use as a late era patch knife out of hand...just my two cents worth.
tca
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
They are in fact very sharp

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
I have a similar antique table knife as a patch knife.  It can be sharpened to razor edge but I find it isn't tempered right and dulls rather quickly cutting patching material.  Like the construction and white bone handle though.