Author Topic: Couple of Questions  (Read 2527 times)

RoaringBull

Couple of Questions
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »
I am starting to get my equipment together for my persona and need some advice on a couple of items. I am portraying an owner of a leather shop, on the frontier in northeast Texas, that has moved slowly across the country from North Carolina. Its 1830 and I am thinking that the wife and I left that area in about 1810. What type of horn and firearm would be most correct for having been purchased in North Carolina in 1810 and moved across the country with us. Any advice on shooting bags would also be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
I'm not very knowledgable about North Carolina rifles but anywhere, a gun a man had depended to some extent on his station in life and wealth and whether the gun was a primary possession or a secondary one.  As a leather/harness shop owner, the gun would probably be a secondary posession so perhaps a plain gun would be a good fit.  For that timeframe you're probably looking at something in the .40-.45 caliber range.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
I am starting to get my equipment together for my persona and need some advice on a couple of items. I am portraying an owner of a leather shop, on the frontier in northeast Texas, that has moved slowly across the country from North Carolina. Its 1830 and I am thinking that the wife and I left that area in about 1810. What type of horn and firearm would be most correct for having been purchased in North Carolina in 1810 and moved across the country with us. Any advice on shooting bags would also be appreciated.

Thanks much!
All my family was from Western NC and several of them moved to TX but much later than your persona. Not sure what area your persona moved from but I agree with Rich I can not remember any western NC mountain rifles being larger that 45 caliber. In fact most that I have seen were around 40/41 caliber even the earlier ones. Course I ain't seen anywhere near all of them ;D

As to horns, I would think just a plain horn with a plain plug in it. No fancy applied or screw tips just a hand carved ring around the tip where a leather strap could be fasten without having it slip off. Kind of like the one this guy is carrying (from Centompary Blogspot July 14, 2012)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:12:46 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

RoaringBull

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
Yes sir it would be Western North Carolina, Hayward County right next to Indian country. My wife is a Native American, so it adds to the personna.