Author Topic: #13 Done  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
#13 Done
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »
Things have been so busy with work, family, etc. I decided to build something a little shorter than my previous guns.  This gun began some while ago and was inspired by an original that I currently care for.

A militia captain returned from serving during the war against the French and their Indian allies with a captured French officers holster pistol.  It needed restocking to be made useful.  He asked a Pennsylvania smith to restock it for him with a piece of the local wood.  Here is what he got.  French parts in a stock of American wood by an American hand.

It sports a 54 caliber barrel.  It is legal for deer in PA!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline wattlebuster

Re: #13 Done
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »
Very sharp. I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:24:51 AM »
That's pretty sweet, John. Looks deadly and beautifully at the same time. Thanks for posting. I will save the photos in my personal archive. Might want to borrow an idea some day.
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:58:58 AM »
I can't wait to see this in person. John...you WILL be bringing this, right? Love the architecture.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »
Very nice John, can't wait to see it.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »
Excellent John I like the architecture and the wood!! Nice workmanship as always!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

4ster

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!  Well done, I like it a lot.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
These guys beat me to it- the architecture really catches my eye. Very pretty lines. The tang carving looks just right too.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind compliments.

The lock is a small Siler kit that I assembled.  I restyled it and converted it to bridleless pan.  Acer made the frizzen screw for me.  Thank you, Tom!  The barrel and screws were purchased.  The butt cap and trigger guard were both bought but turned out to be very brittle despite annealing over and over.  Both are soldered back together and that is the second butt cap - the first broke so many times it could not be repaired any more.  The trigger, floor plate, ramrod pipes, side plate and butt cap cover are shop made.  The stock was a scrap I picked up at the Fair several years ago.

This is my first pistol and my first attempt at real engraving.  It shows!  There is a LOT to learn!  But I just got to the point where I just wanted it finished.

It was a great learning experience.  I learned that walnut might be pretty without stain but white maple is a far superior stock wood!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »
It's quite beautiful!
Don't know that I would use it on deer though, unless they are crawlin all over you there.
Tom C.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 01:31:23 AM »
After John shoots the deer with one of his rifles, if it's not finnished, he can dispatch him with the pistol!
Eric Smith

ironwolf

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
  Nice one John. I love it.

Kevin