Author Topic: Confederate Rifle Restoration by Louie Parker  (Read 10973 times)

hawknknife

Confederate Rifle Restoration by Louie Parker
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
Some of you may remember the posting I did on the Confederate Mississippi Rifle that was broken in half. I just received the rifle back from Mr. Parker and I wanted all to see the masterful restoration job he did on this rare Civil War musket.

I am including a few pics of before with the after pics so it can be seen the task that he undertook and completed. The wood is spliced and missing wood added so well that it cannot be determined as the color and grain is a 100% match.

Please feel free to show the pics of this rifle to anyone with knowledge of Confederate weapons as the maker remains unknown.  The maker is probably known to the collecting fraternity but his output was so limited the finished rifles have yet to be identified.

This rifle is in 54 caliber with 7 lands and grooves. Being the patchbox mortice was cut and then a thin wooden door nailed onto it I thought maybe it could be a captured Harper's Ferry stock and utilized barrel.

All the brass fittings are crude Confederate manufacture.

Thanks
Carl
www.hawknknife.com
hawknknife@hotmail.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Confederate Rifle Restoration by Louie Parker
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »
Can't ask or hope for better than that!
Andover, Vermont

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
Louie is a true artist. I know he worries about every thing he does on a project because he wants it to come out perfect.  Well guess what.  Perfect!    Another piece of history saved from the parts bin.     JIM
JIM

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
I think i will just send my new guns to Louie and let him repair them!!  Incredible work Louie!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
It is always enjoyable to see Louie's masterful work. Congratulations on saving an interesting rifle.
Wayne Elliott

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:26:32 AM »
Darn it Louie!! Didn't I tell you once before to stop taking credit for those old guns saying that you restored them. Anyone can tell that this one is untouched and unmessed with.
Carl, you made the right call on this one by sending it to Louie. He is just the best! Louie, you never cease to amaze me.
Dick

Offline debnal

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »
Louie is simply one of the best! I have had several items that he has restored/saved and I have never been dissappointed. Most of the time I have been truley amazed.
Al

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
If the before pictures hadn't been posted you would never know that this gun had been worked on, that's the sign of a true master.  Another home run Louie.

Frank

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »
I am glad you fellows like Carl's rifle .  Its a very rare gun and was certainly worth the effort to bring it back..  Hopefully someone will tell us who the maker might be. I am certainly no authority on Confederate guns, but have worked on more than a few and don't recall seeing the Roman numerals on the stock.    .Maybe its common ? ?  If not it might be clue to help identify the maker ..Anyone know ???   Louie

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
I would suggest that someone email the photos of this rifle to John Sexton in Florida.  He is the top authority on Confederate Rifles.  You can google him to get his contact information.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
I agree that's a fine job by Louie!
Plus he's a nice guy to boot!

John
John Robbins

Offline louieparker

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
I would suggest that someone email the photos of this rifle to John Sexton in Florida.  He is the top authority on Confederate Rifles.  You can google him to get his contact information.

Michael

Before this work was started, I sent the before photos to one of the bigger  Civil War dealers..He sent them on to two other dealers , Sexton was one of those. No one recognised the gun ..,       Louie

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
What about Chuck Foster? I believe confederate guns are his thing.   JIM
JIM

C. Cash

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »
It's wonderful that it was saved.  One of the prettiest rifles of the CW era and a Confederate version to boot.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
A very well done restoration. You should be proud of that one!

crazy Bob

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
I'd have to say an armoury repair or an early mendenhall or very early fayetteville, it has been rebarreled, hard to say if it was done during the war or not. Many long arms were repaired at various armouries throughout the south and other than the repair being noted in production logs, no types of arms were noted.

longrifle

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
That is a fantastic restoration, I am glad to see that you were able to save this piece of history.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
Where did that type of barrel come from with the nipple on the top?  Was that common among confederate rifles?

hawknknife

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
Crazy Bob, Why do you feel it has been rebarreled?  I had at first thought it was a flint converted barrel utilized as the one pictured in CONFEDERATE RIFLES AND MUSKET" built by Alabama gun works as it did appear to have a vent hole plugged on the side of the barrel.  I had thought they may have used an 1817 common rifle barrel but the rifling is not even close to the 1817 as this barrel is in .54 rifled with seven lands and grooves and has a pretty nice bore.
    Louie told me he couldn't see how they pulled that much metal up into the cone for the nipple as was done on the early U.S. flint conversions.  Does anyone know how the bolster was made on the U.S. model 1841 Mississippi rifle?  Was it milled on or what.  I had thought this may be manufactured from captured Harper's Ferry stock and barrel.  The patch box mortice is cut out and the thin layer of wood cover is as old as the stock matches in color.  Maybe they simply ran out of patch box brass lids.. The brass butt plate, trigger guard,  and bands are all confederate manufacture.  These are not even close to the U.S. parts with lots of casting flaws and file marks.  At anyhow, it is a very interesting musket.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Could the bands have been patterned off of the 1795 Charleville pattern?

hawknknife

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »
Mr. Merkley, The bands are just crude copies of the U.S. Model 1841 bands...Carl

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Ok, Thanks.

I am a beginner.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
LOUIE, fantastic restoration,if i hadnt seen the before pictures, i would never have known that it had been broken.

GREAT JOB,

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!