Author Topic: A couple of Bucks for Christmas  (Read 15237 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
A couple of Bucks for Christmas
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
    Nearly three years ago my wife and I were blessed with the arrival of our first grandchildren, twin little boys.   I mentally made a note that I wanted to make sure that there would be a couple of longrifles made by their grandfather.   These things get set aside and time goes by; but when I found a really nice plank of curly maple that would yield two matching blanks, I knew the time had come.   I have a special affinity for classic Bucks Co. rifles and decided to build two matching rifles of this school.   I tried to include as many of the classic elements as possible.  They are the rounded thumbnail hardware, side opening box w/o surround, concealed patch box release under the toe plate, an elaborate entry pipe, open nose cap and incised carving.   The engraving designs are those that I have gathered from originals.  The inside of the patch box lids are engraved with a personal message to each child.  In addition, each child’s gun has a thumb piece with his initials engraved thereon.   I only hope that when they grow up that they will still have the freedom to enjoy using the guns.    Best Christmas wishes to your and yours.   Ron 

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

George F.

Re: A couple of Bucks for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
Now that, is nice! Twin rifles for twin boys. Made by their grandfather. A lifetime to treasure and something that reflects upon it's maker Great gifts, and  a great job!!! ...Geo.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »
Nice, glad to see that you were able to give your grandsons something that they will be proud of and something they can pass down to their offspring!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Bob Mac

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »
Are you interested  in adopting a 48 year old grandson? I know you will have many volunteers, I just wanted to be the first. Very nice brace of rifles.
Bob

roundball

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:56:20 PM »
Terrific idea, Terrific rifles, Terrific photos...outstanding !!

lew wetzel

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »
very nice,what caliber are these??they are really an outstanding set of rifles.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Are you interested  in adopting a 48 year old grandson? I know you will have many volunteers, I just wanted to be the first. Very nice brace of rifles.
Bob

No, No I have first dibs on that position :D :D Or at least bastardized nephew once removed :o
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »
Ron,

As generous as you have been with your knowledge to me (and to this board) it does not surprise me that you would give your grandsons a gift of this sort. 

The two rifles are a link to you, a bond between them, and a legacy for your descendents.  And one that is anchored in regional and National history.

Thank you for posting this.

Merry Christmas,

Larry Luck

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:26:31 AM »
 Those are....what is the right word? Great just doesn't seem to be good enough, outstanding job. Those boys will be thrilled I'm sure.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:31:24 PM by Tim Crosby »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:51:27 AM »
Ron,
   I'm orphaned and need adoption! What a fabulous gift for some fortunate boys! Beautiful rifles.Always had a soft spot for Bucks County rifles. Must be their long graceful wrists. Thanks for posting. Oh,didn't catch what calibers etc..?

long carabine

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:22:23 AM »
Ron, your grandsons are very fortunate to have a talented grandfather like yourself. I am sure they will cherish those rifles and pass them down when the time comes. Happy holidays, Tim

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 04:06:34 AM »
 Ron, I find inspiration in your work as my own Bucks County rifle build slowly creeps along. 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 04:29:21 AM »
Ron...  Those are beautiful rifles.  You've done a really nice job of capturing the various details associated with Bucks County rifles.  What a wonderfu, special Christmas present!  Thanks for posting the pics and again, really nice job.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »
Spectacular!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
That's a labor of love.  Great work.  I've never tackled one of those entry thimbles yet- looks scary to me.  I love the incised carving- hard to do but you did a great job with it. Looks good all over.
Andover, Vermont

sammy

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
Larry Luck said it best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
Those are two beautiful, special guns Ron.  The only thing that could make them more special is if in eight or nine years they can take those guns to the range or afield with their "pap". 

Kindest regards,

Dan
Dan Akers

Sean

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
That's awesome.  Hopefully, they will pass them on to their sons and grandsons.

Sean

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »
Ron,

You are giving them far more than a rifle.  You are giving them an American tradition.  You are giving them a tangible artifact of the love that you hold for them.  You are giving them part of your life, your time, the only and most precious thing we can give.

Furthermore, that's a couple of fine looking rifles!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »
Great idea and great job!

Those two kiddies have to wait too long to shoot 'em!   I'll volunteer to shoot them now!! ;D   But don't wait too long ::)

Offline t.caster

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »
I really like what you've done....both with the rifles and for your grandsons! Lucky boys!
I sure hope they grow up in an environment that appreciates guns and your fine craftsmanship!
Tom C.

Offline Longshot

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 03:20:25 AM »
Strong medicine!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
I too think what you've done is wonderful, and wonderfully done too.  I can identify with you...my grandson has just turned six, and is showing some interest in shooting.  I have a model cannon on the coffee table, and he cleans it and pretends to load it every time he comes over.  And I have all the parts to make his first rifle...it'd be nice if it turns out half as nice as yours.  This is where it's at!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

medbill

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
Thats one of the nicest gifts I have ever heard of, so much thought, so much love, so much history.  Simply oustanding.

I just found out one of my nephews's dreams is to go hunting with a flintlock!  Yeah I see a lil feller in his future.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »
Lucky, I built one for my grandson, kind of adds a new dimension to the whole process. Beautiful job, beautiful sentiment, Merry Christmass!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln