Author Topic: Pics from Saturday at Dixon's  (Read 14455 times)

Meteorman

Pics from Saturday at Dixon's
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:47:53 AM »
great day at Dixon's. 
hot, but not as bad as last year.

/mike

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll345/mikemeteor/Dixons2012/?albumview=slideshow

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Pics from Saturday at Dixon's
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:02:39 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for posting the photo's!  Crowds were down on Friday, today was crowded, only 39 guns entered for judging...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »
Thanks Mike.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:43 AM »
Boy, those sure bring back great memories.  Thanks for posting them.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »
Great pics. Thanks for posting ;D ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

S.Willis

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:16:51 AM »
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 04:35:38 AM »
Wel it ain't the same as being there but its great to see the pics!! Thanks Mike.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

MarkEngraver

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »
I'm jealous !

Offline kutter

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:11:35 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics.
Was there Friday and for a short time Saturday,
Sure was hot..
Bought some parts and,,some more parts.

Why does the ride there & back always seem to make truth of the old line about being uphill both ways..
Beautiful country though..

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like a great fair!!! Do you have any more pictures of Ian Pratts iron mounted rifle with the pewter wrist inlay
and the beautiful  carved rifle IMG 1549 ? I tried to save these pictures on my pc, but they came out distorted.

Best regards
Rolf

Meteorman

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
you're welcome and it's my pleasure, colleagues.

Rolf - you can see great pics of Ian's rifle here:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/10/ian-prat-rifle.html
I took the detail shots mainly because I'm really drawn to Ian's style and material, and it gives me something to work towards.

no other shots of the rifle in IMG1549.  others may remember whose table it came from.

/m

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
I really missed being there.  The pics help, but I miss getting to talk to all you folks. Taylor, I remember talking to you on my first trip to Dixons. I think it was your first trip there too.  I hope to see a bunch of you at CLA.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
Thanks MM. Great pics!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »
Baker Hughes saw it best to totally annihilate my plan's of being at Dixon's this year. Probably best brighteyes and I not there. She's down with diverticulitis and I with extreme sinus infection.  The flights home yesterday were unbearable.  Hopefully next year.  Unless Baker Hughes objects again

Thanx for posting the pics.  Kinda wish Tom had his carving cap on though LOL

RICH

Offline Frank

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. I have been going every year for as long as I can remember, but this year was a little dis-appointing. A number of notable vendors were missing, Tip Curtis, TVA Muzzleloading, and a few Vendors that deal in accoutrements. I always go directly to Tip Curtis tent as soon as I arrive, and was looking for a smoothbore in the white. Tip always has a lot of smoothbores. There were other vendors there with smoothbores, but they did not have what I was looking for, and the selection was limited. Also a custom horn, but the vendor that I wanted was not there either. Should have gotten the horn in Lewisburg back in February. I was bummed to say the least.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:36:29 PM by Frank »

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
I came away with the same thought.  Seemed like a couple stock suppliers that normally set up down at the lower corner weren't there, either.  I wasn't looking for much other than bargains as I've got parts built up for the next 4 guns, but I only spent a fraction of the $ I normally do.  Still plenty of makers work to look at and people to talk to, but I noticed the judging table seemed awfully thin in #'s as well. 

I always try to get there early on Saturday to beat some of the crowd, but word must be out on that!  Arriving just before 10am I was already at the far end of the parking lot and it was packed.

Seemed odd to be going to Cabelas afterward with cash still in my pocket, but it didn't stay there for long.  :D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
I just wish that they would move it closer to North Carolina so that I can go to it. ;D

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
 Thanks for posting the pix.

Tim C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
I know what you mean, Mike.  Perhaps I will me able to make the Fair in Oregon, one of these years.  That's only around 1000 miles one way for me.  I've been to Dixon's twice, and without exaggeration, consider those the two best holidays of my life.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frank

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »
I came away with the same thought.  Seemed like a couple stock suppliers that normally set up down at the lower corner weren't there, either.  I wasn't looking for much other than bargains as I've got parts built up for the next 4 guns, but I only spent a fraction of the $ I normally do.  Still plenty of makers work to look at and people to talk to, but I noticed the judging table seemed awfully thin in #'s as well. 

I always try to get there early on Saturday to beat some of the crowd, but word must be out on that!  Arriving just before 10am I was already at the far end of the parking lot and it was packed.

Seemed odd to be going to Cabelas afterward with cash still in my pocket, but it didn't stay there for long.  :D

Yep, I did the same thing and Cabela's got my cash as well.  ;D

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »
Yep, Tip Curtis, and Matt Avance wasn't there, and after getting there late on Friday, spent most of saturday, Then had to leave, and drove back 13 Hours straight, as I found out my Daughter, and her seven kids came to spend the week with me.  Had great fun, even got the back of my head in one of the pic's.  Met Ed Wegner finally, Saw Michael over by the Garage, but missed saying Hi.  Got my stock blank and barrel to Dave keck.  Missed the after Dinner get together with guys at
the Hampton, Darn storm, and no picnic table, Though Allen told me he will be starting my Lehigh soon.  Sixteen hours to get there, eight hours there, and thirteen back home, It was still worth it.  On to the CLA, controversy or not.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
Mike,

I wish you had interrupted me so I could have actually shook your hand and said "Hi".  I learned one thing form you pictures - I am running out of hair on top, big time!

The ALR tent was busy almost all day long Friday and Saturday.  Lot's of people coming by asking questions on various aspects of building.  I must have demonstrated sharpening scrapers 3 dozen times! It was a little light on Sunday. 

Acer's little Lehigh is all the more lovely in the flesh!  It handles beatifully!  The pictures do NOT do it justice!

The attendance did not seem to me to be what it has been in previous years.  Most folks were blaming the economy.  But I got to meet a number of ALR participants.  It is great to be able to put faces and personalities to the names on the screen.  We are developing a real "comminity" of gun-makers!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
Meteor Man again thank you for the pictures.  I wanted to be there as badly I want to go home after every twenty day hitch in Oklahoma.  To be in the presence of people who share the same desires as I is in a way a family reunion. Some of the family I've met some I need to meet. Was hoping to meet Long John  and Bill Knapp.  Wish I could have talked with Tom Rich, and Bill Shipman again   I think I met osprey and Jim filipski two year's ago as well as Allen Martin Don Getz, and Roger Fisher.  Those are the names that stand out the most.
  Some made lasting impressions on my life and I am eternally grateful for it.  I didn't get there this year to tell Chuck Dixon thanks.  It is through his efforts and people like Dennis G. I can make sense of these odd desires to recreate something from our nations past.  Maybe we are all in some small way trying to change the world we live in .  People around may see how doing something that keeps us in touch with who we are and where we come from.

Trying to duplicate a more simple way of life. A time where we could depend on our neighbor.  It still happens one small area at a time.  I'm sure there are people around each of the forum's members that would agree.
  Sorry I missed the reunion
  Rich

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. I have been going every year for as long as I can remember, but this year was a little dis-appointing. A number of notable vendors were missing, Tip Curtis, TVA Muzzleloading, and a few Vendors that deal in accoutrements. I always go directly to Tip Curtis tent as soon as I arrive, and was looking for a smoothbore in the white. Tip always has a lot of smoothbores. There were other vendors there with smoothbores, but they did not have what I was looking for, and the selection was limited. Also a custom horn, but the vendor that I wanted was not there either. Should have gotten the horn in Lewisburg back in February. I was bummed to say the least.
I  was told that Tippy couldn't get a driver.

ken

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:22 AM »
The numbers at the fair this year did seem down. However, the quality seemed to go up. People asked more educated and interesting questions than in previous years, and it was a pleasure to answer them. This year, it seemed like the people who came out were genuinely interested in muzzleloading and the history behind it. Overall this year's fair, in my opinion, was a huge success.