Author Topic: Exhibition Announced"North Carolina Schools of Longrifles" at High Point Museum  (Read 15969 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
The High Point Museum today announced the first ever exhibition on the North Carolina Schools of Longrifles.  The exhibition will start on Feb. 16th and last through August. It will feature three Outstanding Longrifles from each of the nine Longrifle Schools in North Carolina. Many of these Longrifles have never been displayed for the public before. The exhibition will also feature Piedmont North Carolina Banded and Beehive Powder Horns.

The first phase of the exhibition will focus on the "Golden Years 1780-1830" and will run from Feb. 16th to May 5th. The second phase will start on May 30th and last until August 25th and will focus on 1830- 1880 period. The High Point Museum is open from 10 AM to 5 PM, Wednesday to Saturday.  Admission is free.

William W. Ivey will be giving a presentation "North Carolina Schools Longrifles 1765-1865" on Tuesday, Feb. 21st at 6:30 PM at the Museum.  Admission is free.

The High Point Museum has also announced a one day Panel Discussion and Seminar on Saturday, March 3rd.  The panel will consist of William W. Ivey, C. Michael Briggs, Kenneth Orr, and Joe S. Byerly.  The moderator will be Penn Wood. The program will focus on each of the nine North Carolina Longrifle Schools and Piedmont North Carolina Banded Powder Horns. The Program will begin at 9:30 AM and last until 4:30 P.M.  The cost is $25 to attend and includes lunch.  You can make a reservation by calling the High Point Museum at 336-885-1859.  The Museum is located at 1859 East Lexington Avenue in High Point, North Carolina. Their website is www.highpointmuseum.org        
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:27:06 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Knowing Bill, Michael and Ken, I know this exhibit and the presentations will be very worthwhile.  Congratulations to the High Point Museum for being open to host such an exhibit.  So many curators think it politically incorrect to have anything to do with firearm exhibits, despite the historical importance and the artistic merit of longrifles.  North Carolina is fortunate to have such outstanding museums as MESDA which are already supportive of the longrifle as an important artistic and historic artifact.
Wayne Elliott

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Wayne,
Thank you for your kind comments.  I think the exhibition and seminars will be a lot of fun and it is encouraging to find a museum that wants to spend the time and money to do this.  Bill, Ken, Joe and myself have had a lot of fun at the planning meetings and look forward to the seminars.

It is my understanding that the KRA Foundation has approved a grant to the Museum for this exhibiton.  Please tell Henry thank you for us.

Michael  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:21:18 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
I thought I would give you a preview of what you can expect to see at the High Point Museum.  I am sorry that the photography is not better.

Here is the sign that explains the nine North Carolina Longrifle Schools

These are the new custom cabinets built by Ray's Woodworking and Cabinets of High Point.

These are the three Bear Creek School Longrifles.
1. Bryant Martindale of Chatham County (Ivey Book #17)
2. John Harper of Chatham County (Ivey #21)
3. David Kennedy of Moore County Relief Carved rifle (Ivey #2)

These are the three Early Deep River School Longrifles
1. J.J. from Guilford or Randolph County (Ivey #43)
2. David Grose of Guilford County (Ivey #41)
3. Craft Jackson of Guilford County (Ivey #39)

These are the three Jamestown School Longrifles
1. Jabez Stephens from Guilford County (Ivey N.P.)
2. William Lamb from Guilford County (Ivey N.P.)
3. Thaddeus Gardner from Guilford County (Ivey #56)

These are the three Salem School Longrifles

1. Christoph Vogler from Forsyth County (Ivey #104)
2. George Vogler from Rowan County (Ivey #108)
3. Disselfink rifle (Maker Unknown) (Ivey #125)

These are the three Davidson School Longrifles
1. Henry Ledford from Davidson County (Ivey N.P.)
2. Solomon Farrington from Davidson County (Ivey #135)
3. Andrew Long from Davidson County (Ivey N.P.)

These are the three Rowan School Longrifles
1. Leonard Nash from Iredell County (Ivey #145)
2. George Eagle from Rowan County (Ivey #137)
3. Isaac Ribelin from Rowan County (Ivey N.P.)

These are the three Mecklenburg School Longrifles
1. L.T.C. from Mecklenburg County (Ivey #168)
2. Christian Arney from Lincoln County (Ivey #161)
3. Isaac Thompson from Mecklenburg County Relief Carved (Ivey N.P.)

These are the three Catawba Valley School Longrifles
1. Daniel Speck from Iredell County (Ivey #178)
2. Henry W. Huffman from Catawba County (Ivey #172)
3. Unsigned Carved rifle from Catawba County (Ivey #174)

These are the three Appalachian School Longrifles
1. Unsigned (Ivey #212)
2. John R. Gillespie from Haywood County (Ivey #200)
3. H.W. (probably Whitson) (Ivey #205)

Piedmont North Carolina Powder Horns

Map showing location of Jamestown School Gun Shops.

This should give you something to look forward to visiting.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Michael,
Top quality displays of top notch rifles. Looking forward to stopping by on my next trip south.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
There are two new videos available on youtube.  Go to www.youtube.com and enter into the search box "Jamestown Rifles with Michael Briggs"  or "Nine Longrifle Schools with Bill Ivey & Kenneth Orr" to watch these videos.

Michael   
C. Michael Briggs

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Michael, what an excellent display.  Congratulations!  (Lots of familiar rifles there  : )   )
Wayne Elliott

copdoc

Micheal thanks for the email.  I might have missed this. 

It was a great presentation and collection of longrifles on display.  There was also a 21/28 overstamp Colt Navy model TSMG on display.  ;D 

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Thanks Mike.
hurricane

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Thanks for posting!  I'm in that area on business a good bit. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

J.Cundiff

I'm just down the road in Salisbury. I definitely gotta come up and see this! Looks awesome!

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
If you plan to visit the High Point Museum to see this exhibit, you need to do it in the next two weeks.  Phase One of the exhibit which focused on the early rifles 1780 - 1830 will end on May 5th.  Phase Two which will focus on the percussion period 1830 - 1880 will start on May 30th and end on August 25th. There will be 27 new rifles on display starting May 30th along with some rare Jamestown Pistols and new Piedmont North Carolina Powder Horns.  Hopefully this will make it worth at least two trips. One now, one this summer.  I also expect there will be another seminar on North Carolina Longrifles scheduled this summer.  It will be announced later.

Michael     
C. Michael Briggs

nchunter

I stopped by and saw this exhibit.  Well done!

Offline valongrifles

I visited the exhibit Saturday last. The display was quite impressive. The video was a little distracting while studying the guns; perhaps headphones to listen to the videos would be an advantage. Also, the bottom specimens almost require the visitor to get on the knees to study and read. Laura Bush was in town for the High Point U graduation so there was a lot of traffic. The next display is supposed to be ready by next month. The on-site black smith, original home and reconstructed house were also nicely done. My wife suggested we go to the beach this summer via HighPoint and I agreed and said "that way I can visit the museum for the new display". There was a very audible groan in response. Might work out!

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
The High Point Museum opened Phase II of their North Carolina Schools of Longrifles Exhibit this week.  The exhibit focuses on the 1830 to 1880 period.  The exhibit will run until August 25th.  The Museum is open Wednesday - Saturday, 10 AM to 4 PM, admission is free.

This poster explains the parts of a Longrifle to the public.

The Jamestown School Monument I erected in 1994.

Nine Jamestown School Longrifles.

Jamestown School rifles by James M. Wood - Evan Johnson - Milton & Qunicy Couch.

Jamestown School rifles by J.F. Ledbetter - Anderson Lamb & Co. - L.T. Stack.

Jamestown School rifles by T. F. Merritt - S.H. Ward - Bartlett Yancy Couch.

Salem School Boys rifles by John Vogler

Salem School rifles by Timothy Vogler

Davidson School Rifles by Andrew Long - Henry Ledbetter - A. Long & Sons

[imghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/mbriggs_photo/DSC06410.jpg]http://[/img]

Catawba Valley School Rifles

Piedmont N.C. Beehive Powder Horns

[imghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/mbriggs_photo/DSC06430.jpg]http://[/img]

Guilford County Banded and Beehived Powder Horn with Fringed Hunting Bag

Three Jamestown School Pistols.

I hope many of you get an opportunity to come and visit.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
For those of you that have not seen this Exhibition of NC Longrifles, you have one more month before it ends on August 25, 2012. I have not seen it myself but we plan a trip down the first part of August.
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:54:19 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline eastwind

I'd like to see the exhibit in person, but from what I can tell by the photos, it looks great. I've put a few of these shows together myself (Berks County and Lancaster) and I know the effort it takes to get one up and running-- congratulations to all involved on what looks like a fine display. Too bad it doesn't run longer, I'd stop by on my way to Florida.
Good Show...
Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger