Author Topic: MUSICIAN"S RIFLE ON DISPLAY  (Read 35504 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: MUSICIAN"S RIFLE ON DISPLAY
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »
I've never seen a full length picture of it. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
yes a full length pic would be nice.

Now about that trigger guard's sling swivel hole, is there a corresponding hole thru the stock for an upper swivel?

Offline eastwind

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
Gentlemen: I would not want Mr. Keen to mislead you--he should have asked the Landis Valley people about photography, before stating Jim Lewars allowed photography. It is a policy of the Landis Museum to NOT allow photography in the Exhibit room. There are no exceptions.

At the time Lewars introduced the rifle---it was considered a "press review" where photography is allowed for obvious reasons. The gun is in a large glass case along with another 18 rifles and frankly, almost impossible to photograph it with any clarity.
The intention is to photograph the rifle by a profession in proper lighting... these photos may or may not be available later. It is also the family's call as well as the Landis Valley Museum.

I just do not want the public to feel photography is allowed in the exhibit area --- it is not.
Thanks for your consideration, sorry for the miss understanding.

Patrick Hornberger
Guest Curator
Patrick Hornberger

mkeen

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »
Gentlemen: I would not want Mr. Keen to mislead you--he should have asked the Landis Valley people about photography, before stating Jim Lewars allowed photography. It is a policy of the Landis Museum to NOT allow photography in the Exhibit room. There are no exceptions.

At the time Lewars introduced the rifle---it was considered a "press review" where photography is allowed for obvious reasons. The gun is in a large glass case along with another 18 rifles and frankly, almost impossible to photograph it with any clarity.
The intention is to photograph the rifle by a profession in proper lighting... these photos may or may not be available later. It is also the family's call as well as the Landis Valley Museum.

I just do not want the public to feel photography is allowed in the exhibit area --- it is not.
Thanks for your consideration, sorry for the miss understanding.

Patrick Hornberger
Guest Curator

I don't believe I mislead anyone. The incident I was referring to occurred later in the day after the 11:00 AM introduction of the Musician's Rifle. At that time there were only about six people in the exhibit room. I stated clearly there was a sign on the door, "No Photography Allowed". I did not take any pictures. I can read. It was another group of people that took the pictures and Jim Lewars was talking to them. 

Martin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
The July 2005 Muzzle Blasts article by Wallace Gusler has a lockside, patchbox side view of this rifle from the buttplate through the lock panel.  Nice architecture to say the least.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2012, 04:30:44 AM »
The July 2005 Muzzle Blasts article by Wallace Gusler has a lockside, patchbox side view of this rifle from the buttplate through the lock panel.  Nice architecture to say the least.

So is the wood missing in the front or something? 

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »
No.  There just do not happen to be any currently available full-length shots available for public consumption.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
Thanks Eric,

So is there evidence of a front swivel being there at some point in its life?

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
Fred,
I believe there is an open hole in the forestock for the forward sling swivel.
Alan
"Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:14 AM »
Just saw this rifle this very morning. To say that it's buxom is an understatement. probably 1 3/4" thru the wrist, and 2 1/4 across the rear of the lock panels. Buttplate is at least 5" tall, and 2 1/4 wide. The barrel appears to be 1 1/4" wide at breech, and maybe 42"? Hard to tell, since it's all behind glass. It's fully as big or bigger than the Oerters.

The relief carving is incredibly good, stabbed, I presume, with some incised highlights. Just a total joy to the eye.

The patchbox thought occurred to me that it could have been added later. The carving on the wrist ahead of the finial is scrubbed off pretty hard, a long time ago, and the inlet of the patchbox finial is rather deep. There is no cutout in the buttplate for the door, nor any evidence of a slider, the door just butts up to the plate. Unusual lever mechanism to open the door. Maybe this was early, and popular mechanisms weren't fully developed yet.

The gun indeed poses more questions than it answers.

It's now installed in the large case with other guns, and will be there for the duration of the show. While the glass gets in the way of getting up close and personal, this is a show that will knock your socks off. Albrecht, Beck, Fordney, Fainot, Pannabecker, Dickert and a bunch of other heavy hitters are on display. Worth a trip from anywhere.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
My wife and I just returned from a week in PA, and our trip to Landis Farm was one of the high points. The musicians rifle is a "brute"...and has a very early look to it. It is surely a grand piece. I was surprised to see one of the Haines rifles there was stocked in Honduras mahogony...and a nice John Newcomber with an English rounded toe butt plate, stocked in walnut. The exhibit is well worth the time and effort to see...A once in a lifetime for me, since I'm not a KRA member. Well done Landis Valley folks...Thanks for sharing these guns with us all...Dan Fruth
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline JDK

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »
My trip down was before the Musician's rifle went on display but I may have to go back to see it.  The more I hear about it, the more I want to see it.  I really like early "fat" guns.

The Newcomer rifle really blew me away....almost fowler lines but so long and slender.  This gun is in a league of its own for sure.  I just kept going back and looking at it.  Really a well crafted piece in every respect.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2012, 04:21:05 AM »
Fred,
I believe there is an open hole in the forestock for the forward sling swivel.
Alan

Donkey shine darlin

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2012, 04:35:53 AM »
Is it the same Newcomer that was in the museum at Williamsburg?  I think the Chambers smooth rifle is patterned after it.  Long skinny gun!!! beautiful architecture,eh?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2012, 05:00:19 AM »
The Newcomer rifle has a 42 3/4" barrel, 42 cal, with a fowler guard and butt plate. The gun is stocked in walnut and looks like quarter sawn. It is a light brown color, and the patch box is surrounded by a nice wire inlay border. The lock was converted to percussion. This would be a great piece to carry in the woods. Though stocked like a fowler, it has a rifled barrel and front and rear sights. Quite a beauty!

Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Collector

« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:04 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, this Newcomer was actually attributed to 'Bullard,' and it was touted and proclaimed to be the 'Bullard Rifle,' for quite some time, until John Newcomer received due and just credit, for that beauty.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
Would have been so much easier (and less fun?) if the original builders signed, dated and put an address on each rifle!  Sure wish I could make it to the display.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
We should keep the focus of this thread on the Musician Rifle, and start a new one for the NEwcomer, if needed.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Sorry Acer...I didn't mean to derail the topic...I guess I was so overcome by the other rifles in the exhibit I forgot myself. ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Not at all. It's a mind blowing display. I am still in awe of all those important rifles in one spot.