Author Topic: First scrim horn in progress  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
First scrim horn in progress
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
Well I was way too heavy handed on my first scrim horn.  You live and learn.  The eagle is straight
off my Somerset County rifle.  Yes a copycat.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: First scrim horn in progress
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
Looking good!  What do you mean by heavy handed?  Don't worry about copying, that is what most of us do.  When the whole purpose is to recreate it lends itself to that. 

Coryjoe

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
Coryjoe,  I prefer lines that look more like light scratches.  I feel that I dug in too deep.  The period
horns I have seen have lighter lines.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:59:16 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
 Rob,
  From what I can see it looks well done. One question; is it upside down? I think all the eagles I have seen on horns are the other way, no?

Tim C.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »
Well that's disconcerting.  I put it on based on how it looks lying on the table without regard to how
it looks hanging.  The main theme is actually on the other side.  I need to look at that in the future.
Thanks Tim.
PS The Eagle Has Landed.....on his head.

Rob,
  From what I can see it looks well done. One question; is it upside down? I think all the eagles I have seen on horns are the other way, no?

Tim C.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:52:04 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Horner75

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:23:54 AM »
Tim stoled my thunder about the eagle, but, "what the hey"! ___  Looks like your engraving is coming along good and I agree with you about most of the old horns I've seen and handled had lighter touch engraving!

Rick

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:48 AM »
Engraving on original horns varies in thickness depending on the maker.  Just don't use a rotary tool and it will look authentic. 

Tim brings up a good point.  I design my horns based on what they will look like hanging on a person.  A friend of mine does it based on what they look like hanging on a wall. 

All depends on your customer base I gues.

Coryjoe

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
hey Rob, that looks darn good, and ya can always tell everyone that you did that so when you are wearing the horn it will be right side up when you look down at it, you done it for YOUR enjoyment... I can always come up with a good story ;D
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
Thanks to all for the encouragement  ;D.  Griz...are you going to Harmony?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
 Rob;

The early craftsmen that created many of those beautiful horns we dream about today, very often had a "heavy hand" as you say. This was simply because the tools of the time here of a courser type than used today. Many of the horn, and ivory, scrimshawed items in museums today look lightly engraved because they have a couple of hundred years of handling, and ware, that the new stuff doesn't have. In a couple of hundred years many of these high art pieces will be a blank slate for the same reason.
 Ya did good.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Hungry Horse,  That makes sense.  Thanks

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the encouragement  ;D.  Griz...are you going to Harmony?

No, I don't even know where or what that is, do you have any info about it, maybe a link to the site... my next show is a bluegrass festival at Laurel Hill state park and then Mountain Craft days. I hope if you get to MCD that you stop by and say hi/introduce yourself... old age and a forgetful mind. mostly from the meds and problems, at least that is what I am blaming it on ;D
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Griz,  Here is a link about the show
http://cranberry.patch.com/articles/harmony-museum-presents-8th-annual-antique-gun-show

another Link with date, time location
http://www.harmonymuseum.org/

It's a small quality show with about 30 displays/vendors.  Well attended and coming up soon.
Hope to see you there.
Rob

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
looks pretty neet, I see ed Fish will be there, hes a nice fellow. I like talking to him. I am hosting our local clubs shoot that weekend, so saturday I will be spending the day mowing and painting targets...
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
Good luck with the shoot.  Jefferson County Longrifle show is 9-1-12 and is a larger
event.  You should be there.  I'm looking forward to MCD.  Never been there and I hear
it's really good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:32:58 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 03:28:09 AM »
I dont care if its upside out or outside in. It looks darn good to me ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
Jefferson County Longrifle show is 9-1-12 and is a larger
event.  You should be there.

I looked at the wrong place then. I thought the date I saw was the 11th... let me check that out again.

I went back to your links and they both have an antique gun show on Aug. 11th, Did I miss the one in sept 1st that you mentioned? I can't find it
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:29:17 PM by Griz »
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Griz,  Here's the link for Jefferson Cty Antique Gun Show
http://jchconline.org/CalendarEvent.aspx?Events=134

Jefferson County Longrifle show is 9-1-12 and is a larger
event.  You should be there.

I looked at the wrong place then. I thought the date I saw was the 11th... let me check that out again.

I went back to your links and they both have an antique gun show on Aug. 11th, Did I miss the one in sept 1st that you mentioned? I can't find it

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Rob, that one worked, Thank you. I looked on mapquest, its about 3 hour drive, do they allow selling at the show?
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
Yes they allow selling.  Tables are $25.  Contact Ken Burkett at the number on the
website I sent you. 

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »
Coryjoe,  I prefer lines that look more like light scratches.  I feel that I dug in too deep.  The period
horns I have seen have lighter lines.

With wear and use, I expect the lines will be lighter. Nice work!
Eric Smith

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:10:48 AM »
I dont care if its upside out or outside in. It looks darn good to me ;D

I agree. Eagles fly all different ways, this one is just keepin an eye on you when you go for your horn thats all.

Don't be so hard on yourself ( easier said than done). After I posted pics of my first scrim horn I was told by someone on this forum that we are our own worst critics. That is very true. It's just striving for perfection I guess.
Nothin wrong with that.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
Eric,  I might pull those nails and try pinning it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I screwed up on the plug in a couple ways.  I thought the wormy maple would look good but I don't like it so much and my piece of
maple ended up smaller than the horn diameter so I couldn't file it smooth for a nice fit.  I'm learning.
Thanks for the help.