Author Topic: most important thing to keep in mind whole building ?  (Read 10168 times)

chuck-ia

most important thing to keep in mind whole building ?
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:24:55 AM »
For me it is probably keeping track of the center line on top and bottom of the stock. Got into a little trouble on the gun I am working on, inletted the trigger plate crooked, too late when I realized what happened. Had to shift the trigger guard around a bit to compensate, looks pretty crooked in the square stock, will probably not be so noticeable when the stock is rounded.  Next build I will try to keep track of the center line throughout the build. What do you guys think the most important thing to keep in mind is? chuck

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: most important thing to keep in mind whole building ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:42:08 AM »
I try to keep in mind that I am not Mike Brooks or another pro builder and if I try to be as efficient/fast as them, the results will be anguish and gnashing of teeth.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:48 AM »
Blood is a real pain to get out of maple once it soaks in, so wipe it off before seeking first aid. 

I guess a guy could just try to not get cut, but I'm more realistic.  I just plan on getting cut. 

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:27:46 AM »
Safety First!  No wait that is not it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:41:08 AM »
Why am I building this thing in the first place? Hopefully because you are enjoying it. If you are enjoying it, you wont dread those jobs on the build that you used to be intiminated by but look forward to doing them because of the chalenge and satisfaction from doing it and getting the job done.    Smylee

TinStar

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »
Go slow. Think.  And then think again before you start a certain task. If things start to go badly and you get a little upset; I found that stopping(if you can) and walking away until the next day is better. I have found that some days if I start making goofs in almost anything I do it likely will continue so I stop and come back.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of  experienced builders on forums; even if the questions seem dumb. Use the search features too.

I am almost done with a Type D french trade gun and I really don't know what I would have done in some points If I didn't use the search feature and ask questions.  And I have a good book to follow too.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
Keep your grand vision of the final gun in your mind at all times. That makes the little choices much clearer. It also puts any mistakes into perspective.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

chuck-ia

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »
Some very good suggestions. thanks, chuck

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
Keep track of those centerlines. I put a rear thimble in off center and it is a glaring mistake every time I pick up the rifle.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
Smooth flowing lines and archetecture. The center line is also incredibly Important. I have miss measured that a couple times and my life was constant pain and sorrow forthe rest of the project.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:50 AM »
Some folks have said that Murphy, the author of Murphy's Law, was an optimist but he was probably just a riflebuilder!

Seriously, the one rule that makes the whole building process more efficient and therefore easier to enjoy is "Do not spend time working on wood or metal that will not be part of the finished rifle." I am amazed at how often a builder will be carefully rasping, filing, or chiseling on wood that is a quarter of an inch or more above the eventual finished surface. This applies to barrel inletting, stock shaping. and even small tasks like cutting the cavity in a patch box. It does not need to be smooth until all the extra wood is gone! I try to always use the coarsest file and biggest chisel that I can control for each step.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
Some folks have said that Murphy, the author of Murphy's Law, was an optimist but he was probably just a riflebuilder!

Seriously, the one rule that makes the whole building process more efficient and therefore easier to enjoy is "Do not spend time working on wood or metal that will not be part of the finished rifle." I am amazed at how often a builder will be carefully rasping, filing, or chiseling on wood that is a quarter of an inch or more above the eventual finished surface. This applies to barrel inletting, stock shaping. and even small tasks like cutting the cavity in a patch box. It does not need to be smooth until all the extra wood is gone! I try to always use the coarsest file and biggest chisel that I can control for each step.

Gary
Good point Gary.  I like to break the process down in to small jobs and step back and look her over find many screw ups that a way.  Sometimes we get our long noses too close to the work at hand and don't catch a wrong turn quick enough... to nip in the 'bud' so to speak.  Been there.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
That is so true, Gary and Roger. Once you are an experienced stockist, you can get right down to the finished shape in a short time. But if you have not done this much, we tend to be tentative in our wood removal, even to the point of leaving too much wood on the stock.

This falls into the category 'It's easy...once you know how'

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
Smooth flowing lines and archetecture. The center line is also incredibly Important. I have miss measured that a couple times and my life was constant pain and sorrow forthe rest of the project.
Center lines!
Eric Smith

Offline b bogart

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:01 AM »
Keep track of those centerlines. I put a rear thimble in off center and it is a glaring mistake every time I pick up the rifle.

I did the same with the front tang of the trigger gaurd ::)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
I occasionally lose a centre line. But at some point, the lines are useless anyway. You gotta go with what you've got. Learn to trust your eye, and seek the Jedi path.

To keep RR and entry pipe straight while inletting, I put a 12" piece of rr that fits snuggish in the pipe. That lays in the groove as the pipe is let in, forcing you to keep the pipe straight. Also when letting in the entry pipe, the piece of rr will slip into the drilled hole once the pipe is deep enough.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:44 AM »
That is so true, Gary and Roger. Once you are an experienced stockist, you can get right down to the finished shape in a short time. But if you have not done this much, we tend to be tentative in our wood removal, even to the point of leaving too much wood on the stock.

What you say is true about shaping but when I see a guy carefully inlet the entire lock plate with smooth chisel cuts over the entire surface I just think of the wasted time. He knows, if he would think about it, that the guts of the lock are going to make him chop out 80% of that careful work.

Same is often true of inletting the patch box door to its thickness over the entire surface. Whether you drill or chisel the cavity, it can be chopped out before any inletting. Only the edges and ends of the door need to be touching on the back side for support.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 04:55:26 AM »
..... when I see a guy carefully inlet the entire lock plate with smooth chisel cuts over the entire surface.....

What guy, who?  ;D

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 05:06:57 AM »
Tom,
Lots of guys in classes I have taught.  ;)

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:40 AM »
The first swamped barrel I inletted, I used soot from the lamp to start the process.  It took me sixty hours!  I realized then that I could carefully trace along the barrel on top of the wood and start removing wood with the chisel until I was nearly down and then start using the lamp to fit the barrel into the channel.  Phwew!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:41 AM »
I think the most important thing to remember during building is that this is fun.It will help get you though all the little problems that arise ;) ;)

Mitch

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
It really is fun. I never thought a headache could be fun till now.  ;D
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
Tom,
Lots of guys in classes I have taught.  ;)
Gary, I thank you for your contributions, and I also thank you for keeping me in line.  ;D

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
I think the most important thing to remember during building is that this is fun.It will help get you though all the little problems that arise ;) ;)

Mitch
I agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
I took a course about forty years ago that involved understanding the art and artisans of the middle ages. Modern man doing restoration on some of those Medieval  cathedrals and castles found, that even works found in obscure places, or so high on the steeples that no one would ever see them, the artisans still kept to such a high standard that even six, seven, eight hundred years later the care for detail and workmanship was obvious. That jived pretty well with the way I was brought up. Just do the best you can with what you got. That's what I keep in mind.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln