Author Topic: Build more?  (Read 10233 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Re: Build more?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I'm approaching 81 and just completed a Lancaster for a friend w/ 2 more ready to go. All from blanks. Every morning sees me in the shop for my 2-3 hrs of  "therapy" ....and it's working.....so far, anyways.....Fred
  That is awsome Fred. Hope I can say the same when I'm 81.
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Art is what drives my bus. I consider guns, the kind we build, as artworks. I like to draw, engrave, but the best is the art that goes BOOM! It's sculpture and drawing and engraving, and carving all on one canvas. Who needs paint?

As Mike Brooks said, do it as long as it's fun.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Fred......for an "old coot" of 81 you sure do some nice work.  You got me by two years, and at my age I sure would not
undertake a carved gun.  I must get my current job finished, a pistol of all things.  It will be No. 95, and my last pistol.
I have about five barn guns to do, maybe when I get to cranking on one of those it will bring me back...........Don

Offline ehoff

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Roger you need something to do in the winter other then peaking through the windows at the neighbor lady.

Offline flehto

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
Don....I wish I had your speed...I've slowed down to a "trickle", but somehow do complete one every so often. I often think back on how the "original builders" did what they did w/o optical aids and electric lights. Couldn't do any building w/o the "Opti-visor" and am thinking of upping the power. Wish I was as prolific as you.....Fred

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
Keep at it, Roger - or fish, or shoot, or chase Barb? around the house - just keep at it, whatever it is.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »
Fred......for an "old coot" of 81 you sure do some nice work.  You got me by two years, and at my age I sure would not
undertake a carved gun.  I must get my current job finished, a pistol of all things.  It will be No. 95, and my last pistol.
I have about five barn guns to do, maybe when I get to cranking on one of those it will bring me back...........Don
Hey Don, words of wisdom from a young punk. Don't take on work you don't want to do, nothing worse for killing your mojo. I turn down lots of work.... I have a hard enough time staying at the bench, sure don't want to work on something I have no intrest in.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »
Excellent advise for anyone Mike and couldn't be more true of any work one engages in.  If your heart ain't in it, its mighty hard to turn out a top notch job.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

ken

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 04:31:49 AM »
Roger  I have been privaleged to see alot of your work and always learn something each time. Your hands are still good and work is to be admired. If I can build when I can not see You can Build this winter too. Who else is going to set a stock on fire and admit it ;D  Ken