Author Topic: Aproaching the Cheekpiece  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Aproaching the Cheekpiece
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
I am not yet ready to tackle this aspect of the build. What I would like to do is gather some input. How do you handle this part of shaping? What technique do you employ? What tools do you find most effective? What advice could you offer? I am sure I will make a big botch of it, and it will probably look like it was done with an adz,. but I will learn from it. Before anyone asks, I have the books. Think of this as a suppliment.   ;D ;D ;D   Thanks in advance to all who reply.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:47:52 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Aproaching the Cheekpiece
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »
Think of it thisaway....That cheekpiece is already there.......Just remove wood that shouldn't be there and go slow.  Actually,for me atleast the cheekpiece area on a build is pretty much one of the easiest parts of said build.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Before I say anything about cheekpiece, what have you got installed? Barrel and lock?

There are some other things that need to be addressed before the cheekpiece is shaped.

Buttplate needs to be in place. This allows the comb and wrist line to be fleshed out.
Trigger needs to be installed. This will give you the bottom line of the stock, from grip to buttplate to be resolved.
Guard, depending on style, this will also determine the bottom line of the stock.
Step toe stock or not, the guard and trigger need to collaborate to determine the bottom profile.

Now you have the top and bottom profiles, you can now figure out where the cheekpiece goes, how big, vertical placement, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
Really study top and bottom views of originals and you will see that often contemporary cheekpieces are exaggerated by comparison.  Very few originals have a blocky "flat" at the lower edge but that is sometimes seen in contemporary work.  Many don't leave enough room behind the cheekpiece and extend it too far to the rear.  It may be helpful to initially shape it with a smooth taper from the rear of it toward the buttplate, and from the front to the wrist, THEN delineate it as appropriate for the school or original builder you are using for inspiration.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »
Excellent advise by all.  Rich brings up a really good point about exaggerated cheek pieces.  Take a look at the thread Mike Brooks posted a short while ago about evaluating a rifle.  In it, he pointed out how the underside of the stock is a little "thick".  The cheek piece looks like it stands out a good bit, but actually, not so much.  I visited the longrifle display at Landis Valley last week and paid particular attention to that area of all the rifles.  All of them were "thick" under the cheek piece and didn't stand out like most contemporary guns you see today, mine included.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
Tom I have a LOT of other parts to install before I get to the cheekpiece. I just thought I would give this some thought before I actually have to do it.
Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
Fresh the Landis Valley show, I paid particular attention to the Musician's Rifle. Sighting along the bottom line of the stock, from toe of Buttplate toward trigger, the wood swells out under the cheeckpiece. This reduces the 'shelf look', but it does not reduce the overall thickness. The illusion is that the ch piece looks lower in relation to its surroundings.

Not all guns swell out under the ch piece. This is where seeing original work is a boon. You can seldom tell from photos what is going on.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »

Not all guns swell out under the ch piece.
Correctamundo Kemosabe. Much of the euro stuff I s a bit pudgy as are many earlier colonial American guns. It's a really authentic illusion if you can pull it off. Golden age guns tend to be much flatter in this area.
 We get way too crazy about straight lines on these guns, probably from reading Peter Alexander's material. I remember years ago him writing about checking all areas of your gun with a straight edge to make sure everything is flat and straight. When I applied the straight edge to originals I found nothing was straight or flat. ::)
 A great exorcize with a straight edge is to apply it to A Martin's Lehighs. Those things really move!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
Correctamundo Kemosabe..........When I applied the straight edge to originals I found nothing was straight or flat. ::)

Look at a French pistol, or a Lehigh, or a jaeger.... NOTHING is straight.
Straight lines draw attention to themselves, and have nothing to offer. Straight lines are dead.
Curves, on the other hand, the eye does not settle anywhere, and you look the whole curvy thing up and down, trying taking it all in.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
When you talk about those fat looking areas below the cheekpiece, they are prevalent in Berks county rifles.   You don,t
see it in Lehigh's, Bucks, etc.   You are also more apt to see it on an early gun versus the guns of the golden age, where
they are starting to slim down the butt's..........Don

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
are starting to slim down the butt's...

I have been working on this for years, at least, recognizing that the Butt needs slimming. That is the first step, eh.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:57 AM »
Does this cheekpiece make my butt look fat??????? ::)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »
are starting to slim down the butt's...

I have been working on this for years, at least, recognizing that the Butt needs slimming. That is the first step, eh.

A slimmer butt will only make your head appear bigger. :)