Author Topic: Dutch Styled Trade Knife  (Read 4226 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Dutch Styled Trade Knife
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
A medium sized belt knife with an 18th c. Dutch/Flemish flavor. 5 1/2" sheepsfoot blade of 01 steel with a through tang peened over a steel butt cap. The grip is stained Boxwood, turned and chip carved. The sheath is vinegaroon stained 6/7 oz. vege-tanned leather sewn with linen thread, and cuir bouilli treated to harden it. Hope you enjoy a look.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Dutch Styled Trade Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
 Wick, Your kill'n me. Another beauty, the handle really sets it off.

Tim C.

S.Willis

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »
Another beauty Wick!!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:50:24 AM by S.Willis »

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
I like this design a lot. Smooth execution.

Questions:

How common was this sheep's foot design back in the day?

Was this sheep's foot style associated with a particular type of tang? That is, a spike tang as opposed to a full tang? A particular type of handle?

How did you do the detail at the bolster? It's hard to see. It looks as if the blade is inletted a bit into a brass washer.

Sweet piece, in any event.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Great to see the turned handle. They're my favorite; I think they really set off a knife. Wow.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
Incredible..just sweet lines and great appearance all around.  Love your work wick.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
  Thankyou all for your compliments. Canute, I have pics from the old Lanouville/France site, and they show full tangs, through tangs, and what would appear to be spike type tangs simply driven into the grip, or into a hole and secured with cutlers resin. The sheepsfoot blades were very common in Europe, and also show up in some digs here. Most had integral bolsters, but not all. Acually, the bolsters that appear integral were forge welded separate pieces of iron but require a close look to see the joint. I chose a design that I could make more easily and keep the cost down. Washer type bolsters/caps have turned up. Mine is a washer type slotted for a snug fit to the tang/blade. Due to the circle and dot decoration, this one would be more Flemish than Dutch. I present this knife as no more than being styled as a generic representation. It is not a copy of any one particular period  knife of it's type. As best I understand it, my grip is too long to have been accepted by the French guilds, which would have demanded a length of 3 Pouces, or 3 3/16" in our measurements. Mine is 3 3/4".