Author Topic: Gun Kits and DVD Gun Building instructions  (Read 5460 times)

ontarget

Gun Kits and DVD Gun Building instructions
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »
Can anyone provide the names of flintlock gun kit makers beside Jim Chambers and Brad York?

Which kit seems to be the best in terms of quality of materials in the kit and ease of assembly?

Also please recommend which is the best DVD available for instructions on basic gun building.
Jim Chambers has a DVD and Mark Silver also offers one.  Are there any others on the market?  And which do you think is the bast for an inexperienced builder?

Also are there DVDs available for wood carving on gun stocks?

Offline Bill-52

Re: Gun Kits and DVD Gun Building instructions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
Regarding kits, you may also want to consider Jim Klein, (www.jklongrifles.com).  Not only are his kits very good but Jim is very helpful in terms of providing advice, answering questions, providing substitute components when you ruin one (ask me how I know!), etc.

Bill

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
Here is a link you may find helpfull.

http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/gunbuilding.aspx
Eric Smith

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
From my understanding you cannot beat a Chambers kit, and if you where to go that route I would go with his video. The Mark Silver video is great but is focused on scratch built stocks and working with hand tools.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
If you build with a kit, you cannot beat Ron Elherts DVD.
Eric Smith

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »
American Pioneer Videos (Jim Wright) has a good assortment including the Ron Ehlert kit building video mentioned above.
Her is a direct link to the DVDs but take time to look at the entire web site.

http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/Titles%20and%20Prices.pdf

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Tamdar

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
I have a built a chambers kit and can attest to the quality.Rons dvd is based on a Chambers kit, I'm sure it will help with others also. I am currently assembling a parts set from TotW and it is decent but not near the quality of the Chambers kit.I have no comment on anyones elses kits.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
I second the vote for APV. They have great stuff. I picked up the Building a Kentucky rifle with Herschel House  I & II, Carving a Kentucky Rifle with Wallace Gussler and Engraving the Kentucky rifle by Wallace as well. I highly recommend them
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »
ONtarget, I am also pretty new to building.RONS video is good. the books on how to , is chuck dixons book, and also recreating the american long rifle , and the best, more
detailed book is the gunsmith of grenville county, which i have been told by bill scurlock will be back in print soon. i have been told that before though. you have come to the right
place for answers to your building questions. the members here are most always ready to help. A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS. So feel free to ask!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
Use the "Search" function to look at old post's of particular subjects. You can do the same on the Old ALR Atrchives. The tutorials hold a great deal of information as well.
Eric Smith

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
I think that Jim Turpin has a instructional video building a Chambers kit??
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

ontarget

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
Many thanks for all of your replies, they are most helpful.  I purchased the Dixon's book on Reconstructing the PA Long Rifle and found it very informative.  But for me seeing a particular technique done is better then reading about it.  The old saying "one picture is worth a thousand words" shines for me.

I particularly liked the comment which mentioned that the Chambers kits were a lot better then TOTW kits.  I was able to see and touch the Charmers kits at Dixon's Fair a week ago and did find the components to be of excellent quality.  The locks were especially well made.

BTW this is my first encounter with receiving replies on this forum, having just joined a few days ago.  You all seem to be a bunch of great people.

Thanks millions
ONTARGET

dbraw

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »
Tip Curtis has the VERY BEST preshaped stocks available. Over 135 different patterns and all the parts anyone needs.
Dan