Author Topic: Shooting Accessory Wallet  (Read 3714 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Shooting Accessory Wallet
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
When out on a ramble, there are a few items that I feel are prudent to carry in a shot pouch but that are only needed once in a while, if at all.  Most of the time I only need round ball and patches.  Nonetheless, at least in my pouch, everything else I am carrying ends up in a jumble in the bottom of the bag or at the bottom of the extra interior pocket.  This inevitably leads to a lot of fumbling for whatever I need next.  So, I made this leather wallet to hold all those "I might need" items.  Easy to get to if I need a worm or a jag or a sewing kit, but not in my way when I am just fishing for patches and shot.  The wallet holds, from left to right,  a sewing kit in a brass tube, a "Gunner's Mate" shooting tool of my design (sort of a "Swiss Army Knife" for muzzle loading shooters), a vent pick / awl with a brass scabbard, a very small oil bottle, a pan brush, and some spare jags for other calibers.  There are small pockets for 4 spare flints.  The wallet is also very convenient if I do not take a pouch along for a short walk and just slip this into a coat pocket along with a loading block and a very small day horn. 

I don't do much leather work and I didn't want this wallet to fall apart too soon, so I made it out of kangaroo leather which is several times stronger than either cow or goat hide.  It is a beautiful supple leather to work and it is often used for high quality bull whips due to its very high strength.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:32:57 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Shooting Accessory Wallet
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
Makes sense, that it should be Kangaroo, since it has all those pouches! ;D  Really neat Dave. I cherish that flint cock pendant I got from you a couple of years back, and get many compliments on it.  Do you have one that's just the cock without the brass backer.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the note and glad you like the pendant.  I do make them without the backer.  Check here   

http://www.luckybag.us/Charms.html
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
 Nice work all around Dave. To bad you can’t wear the accessories on the outside ;)

Tim C.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
Ditto on kangaroo leather. I have a set of Browning kangaroo feather weight hunting boots I wear when I bow hunt and they still wear like iron. I purchased them when I was 19 and now I'm 58. And yes,fantastic pouch and accoutrement's.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
 Kangaroo is great stuff to work with, here are a couple of quirts I braded up using it.

Tim C.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
Roo hide also makes great uppers for boots. Have got some bag patterns from Habu and will make them out of roo, as there is plenty of it around here !! Roo also makes the best stockwips, we have one or two custom  whip makers down under. Great wallet, and set of gear for it !!

Cheers

gordon
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:26:31 PM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !