Author Topic: How Many Planes?  (Read 7861 times)

DB

How Many Planes?
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »
How many different types of planes do you use thought the building of a gun from a blank?

Joe S

Re: How Many Planes?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »

Offline LH

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
I've got a little finger plane that I'll use on the top of the barrel channel on fullstocks some.  Its a little faster than a rasp and leaves a cleaner cut.

Online yip

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »
  Better ask MARK SILVER, he uses more planes than the USS ENTERPRISE!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:28:09 AM »
Scrub plane, rabbit block plane and a convex sole block plane along with a wooden spoke shave.  So that is 3 planes and a spoke shave.
David

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:22:46 AM »
About the same as David Rase's answer, except throw in a ramrod groove plane and a drawknife as well.  I'll probably use more in the future as I modify, make, acquire or recondition some more.  I also used a borrowed spoon plane on my current build and was very impressed.  I gotta get one of those....

Curtis
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:29:51 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline cmac

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »
Two block planes, two spokes shaves, finger planes(some), 3 scrapers. A while back I did most with rasps; really like planes and scrapers now

Offline Habu

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
I like planes, so I might use a few more than others.  (OK, I'll confess--sometimes I look for reasons to use them.)

Working from a plank, I tend to use a fore plane to get a straight line, and a smoother to clean up one side for layout.  Depending on how rough the wood is, a scrub might get put to work.  Block planes (normal, low angle, and a bullnose) for shaping, along with drawknives and spokeshaves.  In the past I've used a couple of rounds to rough-out a barrel channel, and a small round for touching up the ramrod groove (one of these days I'll use it for the whole groove).  Lots of scrapers, but mostly card scrapers rather than the plane-like cabinet scrapers. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
I love the wood cutting tools that are razor sharp a pull a clean shaving curl.  I have about  10 plane's four are modern the rest are antiques or copies of antiques. I use a block plane most of all. I have yet to get a scrub plane but will keep an eye out for one. After profile work using the band saw I will go over the stock with the planes to true every thing up back to square.  The spoke shaves are used to shave down the forestock mostly but the wrist area gets some attention with them as well. I do use a draw knife from time to time for some areas early on in shaping the butt stock. I have 4 of various sizes. They are a versatile tool but are a little scarry at times. If I had to chose one plane to use I would chose my # 4 bench plane.
Dave Blaisdell

dannybb55

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
A Scrub, Jack, Smoothing, Jointer, Rabet, Low Angle, Spoke Shave, Bull Nose all have a place on my bench. The most used are the spoke shave and the Stanley 60 1/2 low angle. They are very handy tools.
 Yesterday, at work, I found myself reaching for my Slick more than any other. Of course that wood project displaces 65 tons and I was in a very awkward position.
 Danny

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
A Scrub, Jack, Smoothing, Jointer, Rabet, Low Angle, Spoke Shave, Bull Nose all have a place on my bench. The most used are the spoke shave and the Stanley 60 1/2 low angle. They are very handy tools.
 Yesterday, at work, I found myself reaching for my Slick more than any other. Of course that wood project displaces 65 tons and I was in a very awkward position.
 Danny

Jack, smoothing, and jointer, these are used for trueing and squareing? Before cutting out profile and after?
Eric Smith

dannybb55

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
After.... Low Angle and Spoke shave.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
Saying you use a "smooth plane" is about as informative as saying you drive "a car." Got a preference?

Most of mine are either old Stanleys or Krenov-type wood planes I made. A couple of my Stanleys have been fitted with Clifton irons/cap irons. For wooden bodied planes I use Hock irons.

The most used plane is my Stanley 60 1/2 low-angle block, but I'm seriously thinking of replacing it. It's kinda funky in the adjustment department. Hate too admit it, but I'm starting to think L-N.

Disclaimer: I seldom use them in stock shaping. I'm a furniture maker. Curvey/bendy shapes I use spokeshaves a lot. Favorite is a wooden Hock.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Habu

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
Saying you use a "smooth plane" is about as informative as saying you drive "a car." Got a preference?

Ah, but except for a few of us, who would understand, or even care?  Sacrilege, I know . . . .  but while a smooth plane is handy when stocking from a rough plank, just about any typical older Stanley or Millers Falls smoother is adequate.  Get one, figure it out, use it, and get on with building.  

I'll admit to having "a few" smoothers.  The IMPORTANT one is a Stanley #3 parts plane, set up with an iron cambered just-ever-so-slightly, that I can hand off to almost anyone and they can make it work.   One like that is probably about all a builder needs, and it could just as easily be a #4 or even a jack plane like the #5.

Jim

But since you asked: my working kit is generally 3) #3s, 3) #4s, 2) 4 1/2s, 3 coffin-bodies, and an old #23 w/rosewood sole, usually divided between the two shops.  Most are Sweetheart-era planes retrofit with low-knobs and several have aftermarket irons.   Plus spares.  And a Norris #14 I'm not sure about.  And a couple of #4s I use to test various aftermarket irons . . . .  Can't stand the LN bronze, it stains white wood and smells funny.  Wouldn't take a wood-body shave for actual use.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:37:15 AM by Habu »

Offline Rich

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:05:01 AM »
scrub plane, low angle plane, core box plane, spoke shave and scrapers. What I still need is a ramrod groove plane.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
Son of a gun, are you guys telling me I screwed up?  I have never used a plane or a draw knife.  I have used scrapers.
About a year ago a friend stopped in the shop, said he was in a Wood Craft store and saw this rasp set and thought of me.   This set is similar to a Stanley Surform, but much more highly refined.  It comes with a handle and four rasp inserts,
two are flat and two are round, each style is done in a fine and coarse cut.   The inserts somewhat resemble a stainless
steel razor blade.   They have uniform rows of teeth and cut great.  I will bring it along to our meeting at the CLA show
for a "show and tell".   .....Don

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
I have been thinking of getting a  smooth plane to use to clean up and square up after a saw cut, just can't decide which one would work best for this,  gunstocking as apposed to cabinet making.
Eric Smith

Offline Habu

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
Mr. Smith, if you just want to smooth a cut, a Stanley #3 or 4 will do fine; if you also want to use it to true a line, longer is better--and the #4 is 1" longer and 1/4" wider.  I tend to use whichever one is handiest to where I'm working.  (If you don't care if the surface is dead flat, you might get by with a good block plane, like the Stanley #60 1/2.)   

Stanley's are the most common planes--most everyone is familiar with them, and parts are commonly available either aftermarket or salvage.  Information on tuning and adjusting is easily found.   The numbers (#3, #4, etc) refer to sizes in the bench lanes (like smoothers and jacks) and to models in the block planes and specialty planes). 

The #3s and #4s are common as dirt most places, so the cost isn't that great.  Most days you can get a user off the 'bay for $25-30 delivered, and if you watch for a couple weeks, often under $20 delivered. 

If it were me looking for a plane for odd jobs while stocking, I'd look for a Stanley #3 or #4.  I'd want something between Type 5 and Type 18 (produced between 1997-1947) for parts availability.  I tend to prefer "low knobs" (the front handle) because that was mostly what I've always used, and I try to avoid the corrugated bottomed planes (because I have trouble using them on thin stock, like the top of a forend or similar). 

DB

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59:09 AM »
Thanks for that detailed info on your planes and use. I wish more people discussed plane use in gunstocking. But they don't..  Plane talk must be taboo.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
I use a little low angle plane and a spokeshave more than any other plane type tools.  I have a concave blade spokeshave that is great for forearms, wrist etc.  I use a plane wherever a long uniform shape is required (fore-end, toe line on some styles) and the spokeshave where there is a convex rounded shape.  I use the spokeshave quite a bit inletting the buttplate, when sharp it cuts crossgrain no problem and I like my buttplate inlets to nearly fill the doming under the buttplate.  Ramrod groove plane gets used now and I have a couple round-bladed block planes that will get used more for scooping the cheekpiece.

I think if one uses precarved stocks, planes are more dispensible, but I'd still use the spokeshave a lot.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Habu

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
DB, not so much taboo as a reflection of different backgrounds, resulting in different approaches to accomplishing the same tasks.  Speaking very generally, it seems that folks with a background in metalworking or sculpture tend to reach for files and rasps when someone with more of a woodworking background might reach for a plane.  Once you've learned or figured out how to do an operation one way, there may be little reason to change what works for you.  When the rifle is done, there is little to indicate how it was made. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
Some folks are also sculptors by nature and use gouges a lot more than I would to rough in shapes.  So long as they get the desired result, there's different ways to skin a cat.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rich

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
As far as use of planes, I use a small scrub plane to remove major material, primarily in the butt area, behind the cheek piece, etc. The low angle on the forestock. The core box for barrel inletting. I used it one time so far. The core box sole is a 90 degree corner. It will make a 1/2 cylinder shape of any width. With a swamped barrel, it automatically sets the depth. I just wish it was a tool used in the 18th century rather than just the 19th and early 20th.  After using a scrub plane and rasp, a french curve scraper is used for the cheekpiece. I picked up some scrapers with circular cutouts (woodcraft) that turned out to be very useful on the wrist and forestock. They make it nearly impossible to make a slab sided stock. I know that scrapers are traditionally used as a finish tool, but a good amount of shaping can be done with them.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
A beech wood ECE "smooth plane" (approx 9" long), with the throat opened up for chips.  An old Miller's Falls iron block plane (my grandfather's), and occasionally a new Stanley small bullnose plane, which sometimes is useful under the cheekpiece.  And a plane I made to cut a "starter groove" for the barrel channel.  A "tooth plane" sort of device with a fence on the side.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

dannybb55

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »

Most of mine are either old Stanleys or Krenov-type wood planes I made. A couple of my Stanleys have been fitted with Clifton irons/cap irons. For wooden bodied planes I use Hock irons.

The most used plane is my Stanley 60 1/2 low-angle block, but I'm seriously thinking of replacing it. It's kinda funky in the adjustment department. Hate too admit it, but I'm starting to think L-N.

Disclaimer: I seldom use them in stock shaping. I'm a furniture maker. Curvey/bendy shapes I use spokeshaves a lot. Favorite is a wooden Hock.
A smoothing plane is a Miller Falls 9 1/2. It smooths out the dips left in the work after the fore  or jack plane is used.She makes very fine shavings.
                              Danny