Author Topic: Carmel horn  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Carmel horn
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
Found this horn also in Meadville PA.  Didn't get much response on the other I posted, but hoping
someone can tell me something about this one.  Their is a silver ring around the wooden button on
the plug.  The silver ring is held in with brass pins.  Horn is 9 inches outside tip to tip.  Plug is 1 5/8 inches across.  Appears to have had a varnishing years ago that is now worn glass smooth.  

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:52:17 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Carmel horn
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
Any help with the approx age or area this horn is from?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »
 Rob,
  First English power flasks in America probably late first quarter to early second quarter of 19th C. So you can date the use of a charger from that era up to today I would think. Looks like a one off, from any era.
 I may be off on the introduction of the flask to America but I think that is what I have read (not always right) or heard ( Once again, not always right).
 I think the French were the first to use them but I would like to know more or be corrected.

Tim C.         

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:42 AM »
Flasks were imported from England back to the 17th century but Tim is probably on the date for a spout system of that shape. Off the top of my head there is a 1760's reference to powder flasks being for sale in the VA Gazette.
 I would say this head was probably taken off a flask after the period Tim cites and then applied to this creation. Can't help more on when this set- up was done though. Could be 1850 and could be 1950.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
So you are saying there is no way to tell?

Horner75

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »
Just a little curious if that base plug is hollowed, or if you tried to check the depth with a wire?... Something about it makes me think 1860's to 1900.  Just a feeling!

Rick

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
Good call. Yes it is hollowed out

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »
 It has a finial for a strap on the base but all I see at the neck is a screw eye and lit looks to be on the bottom. I wonder how it hung from a strap? Maybe the flask portion was added later in its life. Just a thought.

Tim C.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
I need my glasses fixed.  I thought the topic was "camel horn".  I immediately opened the thread since I'd never seen one of those before........

Me too Eric ::) :D