Author Topic: Holding Bone  (Read 4226 times)

NSBrown

Holding Bone
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
Last night I needed to hold a small bone disk while I scrimshawed on it. I thought about using Bondo to hold it down while I worked...the same way I use Bondo to hold patchboxes when I engrave them. But I worried about the heat required to release the disk. so I ended up taping it down with good ol' duct tape. It worked well enough, but I'm still wondering about Bondo or other good alternatives for holding small heat-sensitive objects.

Suggestions.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Holding Bone
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
Suggestions.

Double stick tape works OK for some applications.  The best is a tape made by 3M that is used for affixing vinyl side moldings to your car.  Found at auto body supply houses and perhaps Autozone or others.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »
Place it on a board that will fit in you vice and tap in 3 or 4 brass brads, or such, around it to hold it down.
Tom C.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
Don't gem stone workers use a wax to hold their small piece while working on them?  Wonder what the wax is? 

ottawa

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:02:07 AM »
try making a Bord with a V shape of 2 peisec of brass or wood  about a 1/4 in think the wider the V and the longer you make it the wider i variety of sizes you can hold

PGosnell

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
Lapidary dop wax is what gemstone workers use to hold the stone on their dop stick.

http://www.gravescompany.com/adhesive.htm

dhubbard

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
dop wax would work well. dip the piece in ice water to release it when finished.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:22:39 AM »
Modeling clay is the stuff and it can be re-used.

Centershot

Wild Willy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:31:21 AM »
Well at least someone bought my book.  The board with the v is called a scrimmers block.  It takes practice to use.  The best way to hold down a bone disk it to put a very small drop of superglue on the back and in the direct center.  This serface should be rough, place it on a freshley sanded piece of soft wood.  Let it set for a few min.
It will pop off when you slide a stiff blade under it.  I use this method when I turn horn, ivory, and bone lids for small boxes.  I can finish the top, take it off the faceplate and scrim it.