Author Topic: Ringed Horn and Wormy Chestnut  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Ringed Horn and Wormy Chestnut
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:34 AM »
Hello,

This is a horn I just finished today.  I am going to put it together with a rig I am working on.  I do not make a lot of ringed horns, but I do enjoy it.  I don't have a lathe so it is all by hand.  I really like them, but tend to like them more when Tim Crosby or Jeff Bottinger make them.  It is inspired by an original ringed horn  saw in a book.  The baseplug is made of wormy chestnut from Madison county NC, recovered in the 70s.  I did make sure none of the worm holes go all the way through. 

Coryjoe

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:19:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Ringed Horn and Wormy Chestnut
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »
Corey I admire your willingness to do all that file work.  What book did you say provided your inspiration?
And rig?? 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 01:55:36 AM »
Thank you.

The book is Scott and Cathy Sibley's first book, Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn.  It is inspired by, not a copy of though.

The rest of the rig is the pouch I posted in your thread about suntanning leather and is based on an orignal at Guilford Courthouse Battleground.

Coryjoe

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
Very nice horn Cory. I like it !
Regards   Frank

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
 That is a good looking horn. How did you make the bands without a lathe? They look like they have pins in them so I would think they are applied.
  Thanks for the complement.

Tim C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »
I take the section of horn that I am going to cut the ring from and draw the design on it. I then slide the section over a dowel locked in my vice.  With files and a saw I cut the design in, spinning the piece as I go.  When I get pretty close to done, I cut the ring out with a hacksaw.  If needs be I scrape the inside down.  Then I boil it in water, slide her on the horn and pin it on there. 

Coryjoe