Author Topic: Thomas Bennett gunsmith South Carolina  (Read 3216 times)

auntlouisa

Thomas Bennett gunsmith South Carolina
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:52 AM »
I am a great, great granddaughter of Thomas Bennett...a gunsmith that worked around the Chester, South Carolina area.  He made long rifles and other firearms.  He was born 1812 and died 1861.  I would love to have a long rifle made by him.  Condition is not important as I could have it restored and I know I will have to pay a good price.  If anyone has any information I would surely appreciate it.  It has been a pleasure to find a site with so many knowledgeable and passionate antique fire arms  collectors.  Hope someone out there can help me....thank you!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Thomas Bennett gunsmith South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
Is he the same Thomas Bennett that was in Missouri?  Father Richard and Brother James? There is a fellow on this site,( username mbriggs) that is a North Carolina Gunsmith expert. He may know something about this Thomas. Do you have  pictures of any guns he made? Do you know how he signed his guns?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:51:28 PM by Avlrc »

auntlouisa

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply....I am not sure about the Missouri issue....will look into it with a cousin who has been doing research... but I do have some photos that I think I can share.  The Chester Historical Society, Chester, SC has one of his rifles. I believe it will be or is already on display.  I am new to this sort of site so have to figure out the attaching of photos but will do in the near future.  Again thank you and my best to you...Louisa

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
Here is a tutorial for posting pictures. Or you can email them to me and I will post them for you.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

my email is   tim dot boone at gtri dot gatech dot edu
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »
Auntlouisa,

I googled the name and found this link;

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.southcarolina.counties.chester/4091.1.1/mb.ashx

I don't know if this is an earlier search of yours, or maybe some useful info. It sounds like the poster has, or was working on one of Bennetts rifles.

John
John Robbins