Author Topic: Ken Gahagan fowler  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Dan'l 1946

Ken Gahagan fowler
« on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
 The Ken Gahagan fowler on the Blog is wonderful. I've seen many originals over the years, and I thought that this was one. Great work, Ken!
                                                Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Ken Gahagan fowler
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Yep, I like this one too. Another great piece by Ken.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
That is a fantastic piece. Actually, if Ken's name had not been prominently listed on the page, I would have guessed that it was made by Mike Brooks  ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
Hi,
Yes it is a nice gun with an incredible job of antiquing.  Who buys these antiqued guns?  Are they collectors looking for an exact replica of an historic piece? Are the guns mostly for wall hangers and displays?  Is there a population of collectors that cannot find or afford originals in good condition but can afford to commission these artfully antiqued modern guns?  Are there collectors who want copies of their prized antiques to put on display while they safely store the original?  I am just curious what the source of demand is.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
Some high end re-enactors buy them as do your normal run of the mill custom gun customers, a subset of whom prefer an antique look on a gun that's safe to shoot, physically and w/o harming the value.  At the highest end level of contemporary re-creations, one can get a rifle that looks like the original but costs 50x less.  No, it's not THE Marshall rifle or THE step-wristed Berlin rifle or THE Hudson Valley fowler pictured in Grinslade's book, but it's shootable, looks great on the wall like any fine custom gun that's not antiqued, and to the owner who prefers that style, has more "soul" than one that looks new.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »
Dave,

There is quite a following for high quality work under high quality aging of contemporary guns and accoutrements. I would say from what I have observed that to be able to deliver both facets in the same item is where the focus is now  for buyers and makers of contemporary work as an art form.

By the Ken, another nice job!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:41 AM »
Hi Rich and James,
Thank you very much for your responses.  I wasn't aware that aging contemporary work to the extent that Ken's gun is done was in such demand.  I certainly am aware of the market for moderately aged guns such as Mike Brooks accomplishes so well, but not those that really look 200 years old complete with broken wrists.  Wow!  Very interesting.  That is what I get for living so far out in left field where I never get to even occasionally see a fly ball.

Thanks again and Ken, that is a fine gun.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
It's the art taken to a different level. I can't say what the demand is for antiqued guns, but I certainly appreciate the art. Beautiful piece, scary well done.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »
Wow, had to look at that one a long time.   Sure would drive some antique dealers crazy.   I once did a barn gun with
poor grain thru the wrist, put a copper patch around the wrist, looked pretty good, sold it quickly.........Don

Offline cmac

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
Its hard to tell which is which. Even the cracks match up. Great job!