Author Topic: Which VISE is best for your work area  (Read 21888 times)

Offline Pat_Cameron

Which VISE is best for your work area
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
I just built a new bench to work on rifles.

I was wondering which is the best vise to get.

Make and model and where you purchased yours would  help.

Thanks
Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Daryl

Re: Which VISE is best for your work area
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
A swiveling 6" bench vise is most handy for a LOT of different jobs.  Rubber, aluminum and leather 'jaw pads' complete the arrangement.  A clamp-on elbow rest further down the bench is for stock support when working on the muzzle-end of the rifle stock.  The lower 'angle' is longer and clamps to a bench leg with C-clamps or with long wood screws. Clamps make it more adjustable.  Such is Taylor's bench - mine, a bit more 'primitive', but I do need that 'elbow' rest. Broke a 5" swivel vise removing a stubborn barrel from a modern action - need another. The 4" my Father used for 50 years or more is too small - for me.  English lathes are the very best I've used. The 5" that broke was Chinese with paper thin collar around the screw. Get a good one - forget the cheap vices.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
Check Midwayusa for the Wheeler pattern makers vise...on closeout at $51. I just bough 2 a month ago
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Ionian

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
  Midway sells the Wheeler for even less now, but I think it's made in China also.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
You can NEVER have enough vices :) Gun bench has two a Gero-vise(SP?) and a machinest vice. If I turn around I have a another machinest vise and a big wood vise All with in a 8'x3 oblong circle And yes some get use at the same time. There is no way I could live with just one vise. Most very flexable vises are to lite. where a heavy vise isn't flexable.

David Veith
David Veith

Offline fm tim

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
Source sounds crazy, but look at:

Guitar repair vise
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/1813
Pricy at 135.84

or a "Parrot vise" at:
http://grizzly.com/products/Parrot-Vise-/H3302
for 39.99 plus you need the tilting jaws for 13.95

I have the latter and it has made building 5 rifles much easier.

keweenaw

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
My main vise is a Versa-Vise, the original American made version of the Chinese Parrot vise.  My dad used it on his workbench for 50 years of gunsmithing and I doubt I'll wear it out. The nice thing about this style of vise it that it will rotate to allow you to get your work to whatever angle is convenient for you without having to loosen any extra locks, etc.   Mike Lea makes a neat adapter that you can use with the Parrot vise, or the version he sells, so that you can also rotate the vise forward and backward as well as the usual side to side.  You still need a standard machinist's vise, at least 5", for heavy metal work.  I have a 6" Wilton mounted on the other end of my bench for that purpose.  It's necessary to have it but I use it a small fraction of the time compared to my Versa-Vise.  I also have a barrel vise to use for removing breech plugs, barrels of center fire rifles, etc.  It's home made from two pieces of 3/4" steel plate and four 3/4" high grade bolts.  Barrel is clamped between two pieces of grooved oak.  Never marks a barrel.

Tom

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »

There are so many different purposes.
I have a Wilton Power Arm with a 4" vise attached that proves very useful and used to be the only thing I used much when doing BPCR for a living. Can't imagine not having one.
http://generalindustrialsupp.com/WILTON-301-Mechanical-No.-301-PowerArm/M/B00101WGMI.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle
Mine is about 27 years old now and still works fine. Needs an occasional disassembly for cleaning if used a lot.
I also have a setup on my other bench similar to that shown on page II of Dixon's book. Very useful for long rifles.

I have  couple of mill vises on the mill that also use for making rod pipes and other bending operations since they make sharp bends and have no "teeth". A 6" English made (yes I bought it some time ago) on the bench by the mill that gets used for stuff in that part of the shop but never gunstocks or fine parts.
Brownell's sells aluminum backed vise pads with blue and red plastic pads. I have a pair of the blue I bought 27 odd years ago and they were one of the best things I every bought. Mine are now pretty bad and have been cut back with a belt sander a time or two to remove the  bigger cuts and other idiot marks. I need to replace them. Work for wood or metal and never saw a need for the softer red ones.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=12798&st=&s=31104

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Benedict

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
I to have a version of the "Parrot" vise which I got from Woodcraft supply.  I made an adapter so that it will tilt forward and backward.  It is very useful for holding a gun in different positions.

My other vise is a 4 in Wilton machinist vise.  I use this one for most of my work.  I have install a set of maple jaws for most work and have some rubber belting pieces that I use to protect sensitive surfaces.  The metal jaws are used some time as well.  I use this one for most of my work because it is sturdier than the other and I don't like my work to be moving around when I am working on it.  This is the vise that I have used for nearly 30 years.  I have not found that the 4 in vise is a limitation but I did get a good one with 2 hold down screws.

The Parrot vise is getting more use as I get used to it but as I said my main vise is the machinist vise.  It is particularly useful for carving and engraving.

Bruce

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
You can NEVER have enough vices :)  If I turn around I have a another machinest vise and a big wood vise All with in a 8'x3 oblong circle And yes some get use at the same time. There is no way I could live with just one vise. Most very flexable vises are to lite. where a heavy vise isn't flexable.
David Veith

Ditto.
I am using a pattern makers vise in conjunction with a Wilton multi on my main bench for inletting, etc., I have a huge vise from the shipyeard for heavy metal work, and I use various carpenter's vises and other types for holding pieces to remove casting lines, etc.  I have found that I can have 6 vises in use at one time.  ;D

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
I just bought a 5" Wilton multipurpose vise at Lowes for $60. Haven't used it yet, but it appears to be very versatile. The other vises I have are machinist vises. Good vises, but not all that versatile.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
Here's a picture of my favorite vise.  A friend made up the tilt adapter for me, like the one Benedict described.  Make up a pair of hardwood blocks, curved on the back and faced with thick leather and you can hold most odd shaped work in any position.  I also have a 4" machinist vise for rougher work and pounding on stuff.

Ron
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:55:19 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Benedict

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »
Here's a picture of my favorite vise.  A friend made up the tilt adapter for me, like the one Benedict described.  Make up a pair of hardwood blocks, curved on the back and faced with this leather and you can hold most odd shaped work in any position.  I also have a 4" machinist vise for rougher work and pounding on stuff.

-Ron

I like your hardwood blocks.  Do they have something to keep them in place when the jaws are open like in your picture?

Bruce

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 01:17:40 AM »
Bruce,

No, they aren't attached.  Not sure how well that would work.  They need to be able to pivot and even sit at opposite angles to hold tapered, V-shaped and other odd pieces.  Sometimes it takes 3 hands to get everything in the vise at the same time, so I've gotten pretty good at tightning the vise handle with my knee!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

halfcocked

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 02:13:26 AM »
You will find that you will be buying several vises as your gun making career goes along. I have a pattern maker, an 8" machinist, a bench vise, a luthiers vise (guitar maker) and a jewlers vise. Wouldn't want to do without any of them.

Regarding the blocks, staple a heavy rubber band on each end of the blocks to stretch not too tightly around the vise jaws. This allows the blocks to pivot as needed and allows you to keep that third hand in your pocket where it won't get hurt .  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:03:17 AM by halfcocked »

Offline Benedict

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
Bruce,

No, they aren't attached.  Not sure how well that would work.  They need to be able to pivot and even sit at opposite angles to hold tapered, V-shaped and other odd pieces.  Sometimes it takes 3 hands to get everything in the vise at the same time, so I've gotten pretty good at tightning the vise handle with my knee!

-Ron

You will find that you will be buying several vises as your gun making career goes along. I have a pattern maker, an 8" machinist, a bench vise, a luthiers vise (guitar maker) and a jewlers vise. Wouldn't want to do without any of them.

Regarding the blocks, staple a heavy rubber band on each end of the blocks to stretch not too tightly around the vise jaws. This allows the blocks to pivot as needed and allows you to keep that third hand in your pocket where it won't get hurt .

On my machinist vise I have a pair of rubber pads made from a conveyor belt that have a notch that rides on the (what do you call it) bar between the vise jaws.  I was thinking you might have done some thing like that.  But the rubber band idea is a good one.  When I make mine, I will try that.

Bruce

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 04:24:57 AM »
I bought the china version from midway usa. I made a swiveling vise base for it that will rotate 360°, and tilt 45° anywhere within the 360° rotation. I have made about 6 or 7 of these for some gunbuilders on another forum. So far I have only used it to make knives, but hopefully I will soon be working on my first longrifle using this vise.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:12:56 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
Now that is slick. I have thought of doing something similar to a small vise using a ball for a trailer hitch, a coupla pieces of heavy wall pipe, a coupler, and a pipe flange, but haven't got to it yet.

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »
WOW, I did not expect so much information.
Thanks to all who responded.
Now I have to pick a main vise and will likely add a few more as
the need arises.
I'll post some pictures once I get it all set up.
THANKS
Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »
melsdad How about some more information on your base. Or a photo of it apart.
Thanks
David Veith
David Veith

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »
Well I don't have any pictures of it taken apart, but It is made out of A2 Tool Steel hardened to 55/57Rc. The ball joint is hand lapped for a precision fit so it moves smoothly, and doesn't take much effort on the allen wrench to solidly lock the vise in place.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »
Take a look in woodcraft's catalog for a carvers vise that works like the ball socket setup. It wont be as well machined or sturdy as this nice home built one but it is the same soft of device. Nice setup you built there.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Birddog6

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 01:06:41 AM »
I use a 4" Craftsman vice on one end & a 6" Wilton on the other end (Lowes)  On the smaller vice I have teflon inserts mounted & also leather over them. On the big vice I have latigo leather over it & easily removed for other uses of the vice.  Can't imagine unbreaching barrels without the big vice.  I have two of the "Parrot" vices & don't like them, every time you losen the jaws the vice swivels & it is just aggravating to me, took them both off the bench & went back to the regular vices.   (I do use 1 parrot vice with the adapter for working on knives from time to time, as I can clamp the blades & use the vice vertical or horizontal.)

But I definately want the rifle clamped in 2 vices whenever possible !  Just allot more support & less chance or cracking or breaking a stock.   ;)

I guess it is just what you get used to using.....   ;D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:14:01 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:05 AM »
I had the same problem with the vise moving, especially when you are clamping something were light pressure is desired. I fixed that problem with a simple fix, and have been happy with it ever since.

I ground a small flat on the post the vise slides onto.

Then I drilled and tapped the vise, and installed a set screw that tightens up against the flat. Problem solved

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:14:55 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Benedict

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
I put a set screw in my Parrot and did not put the flat.  It seems to work fine but is not that great when I really want it steady or have heavy work to do.  Still I use both vises a lot.

Bruce