Author Topic: CLA Show -- Discussion starter for after the show  (Read 24228 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: CLA Show -- Discussion starter for after the show
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »
Mike,

IMHO there was a plethora of cool guns there at the show.  So many it makes my head spin when I try to remember them all.  I should have had my camera and taken some notes to go with the pictures.....   Among the many there was a young fella whose name I do not remember, that had several Lehigh style rifles that were simple, elegant and I thought the architecture was very good on them.  There was a display of antique trade guns and one of frontier smoothbores  that were great for study.  Ken Gahagen had a fantastic display of his work and a couple of originals.  Jud Brennan had some real eye candy.  Many others as well!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline cmac

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »
Yeah too many to choose really! But come on guys 3 favorites?????

PGosnell

Re: CLA Show -- Discussion starter faor after the show
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:59 AM »
Okay. 3 things that I didnt bring to the show that I really enjoyed seeing up close.

1.  The original Nicholas Hawk on Bill Shipman's table.  Such a beautiful rifle with graceful lines and an amazing patchbox
2.  Ian Pratt's iron mounted fowler, super cool, simple, elegant.  Too bad it was a lefty
3.  Roland Cadle's Carlisle Barracks screw tip horn at Lord Nelson's display

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 06:06:57 AM »
Per Gary's great assignment, here's my two picks.

This antique is by Christian Hawken.  The owner graciously allowed Jeff T. and I  to handle the rifle and take pictures.  I prefer rifles with straight butt stock lines, so I was drawn to this rifle.  What struck me when handling the rifle was that I could barely feel the carving, but it can still be seen so well.  Yep, I would take her home with me!

This contemporary piece is by Jim Kibler.  I prefer a new rifle to look like a new rifle, but be styled appropriately for the period.  I admire the crisp, low carving and small subtle details on this rifle.  Yeah, I’d take this one home too.

I saw many other wonderful guns at the show.  I was fooled by 3 different Jud Brennan guns…. I’ll admit it, I thought they were antiques!  The display of British trade guns for Indians was very interesting and included pistols…. I didn’t know that.  Mitch’s “Hunters of Kentucky” rifle looked even better in person.  And Tim Crosby must have had 100 horns on his table.  How does that guy turn out so many great horns??  Don Getz's current pistol build has the sweetest trigger pull, ever.  Oh, yeah, I got to see a bunch of my old ALR friends and meet some new ALR friends.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
Arkansas Traveler,

The Nicholas Hawk rifle and Bill Shipman's bench copy of it were the guns on Bill's table I was reffering to in my earlier post.  Thanks for remembering who built the original!  For some reason I was drawing a blank.  Awesome rifles.

Here is a link to pics of the rifles on Bill's site:  http://www.billshipman.com/Hawk_Gallery.htm

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 04:16:41 PM »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
Arkansas Traveler,

The Nicholas Hawk rifle and Bill Shipman's bench copy of it were the guns on Bill's table I was reffering to in my earlier post.  Thanks for remembering who built the original!  For some reason I was drawing a blank.  Awesome rifles.

Here is the photo I took at Bill's table:

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
There's just so much to see and Susan and I could only be there Saturday.  I'm seeing things in these pictures I completely missed at the show!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
Well there were so many that I liked a lot ...phew overload...

This is one gun I like a lot. the workmanship is surely fine but the thing I like about it is the sculpted architecture and the innovative carving.

The fowling piece on the bottom by Alan Sandy - Elegant! http://www.scarletscarab.com/allansandy.htm

I can't seem to get this one to turn over!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:11:25 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
There's just so much to see and Susan and I could only be there Saturday.  I'm seeing things in these pictures I completely missed at the show!

I was there for setup on Thursday, all day Friday and Saturday and still did not see it all. Looking is one thing Seeing is another.

Tim C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Hard to focus when you're making sure everything's going right!  Thanks for all you do.
Andover, Vermont

Offline cmac

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:25 AM »
You guys have my kinda taste. The Kibler rifle and the Sandy fowler are very nice pieces! I was at the show both days and still notice stuff I missed. My friend and I where discussing how we felt dizzy or drunk after an hour or so each day.... I think just awe and trying to take it all in.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:44 AM »
I also liked that Kibler rifle. Not complicated but perfect artistic balance throughout.
Here's a really interesting antique by Jacob Young. The screws are not brass but covered with a hard gold alloy called "rose gold". Other interesting features. The thumbpiece is secured by a pin passing from behind the tang thru a tab. The cheekpiece inlay is secured by a screw under the cheekpiece thru a tab. Note the scooped wedges.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
As far as contemporary pieces at the show, Jud Brennan had another gun he just did based on the Thomas Simpson/Mansker rifle and althoguh I have seen photos of the original and his other copy, I had never gotten to see his interpretation of Simpson's work first hand, and it was really stunning.  Really fun  too to be able to walk across the hall and compare it with the Jacob Young rifle  that Bill just posted photos of, as well as a fantastic rifle that Wayne Elliot had on display by George Long - as all of these rifles appear to be related in a group of very talented southern gunmakers.  There are many things I like about this group of rifles, but to try to pin it down to a few elements I think it is primarily the architecture and creative metalwork on the rifles in this group that I find so appealing.

Guy