Author Topic: Lamp Black Vrs Inletting Black  (Read 9269 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Lamp Black Vrs Inletting Black
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:35:17 AM »
I have tried both now and I am now convinced that lamp black is best. It's cleaner and it seems to me it tells a truer tale about an inlet. I have a lamp that I inherited from my grandmother who was born in 1910, who knows where she got it. Seems to add a bit of ambiance to the bench also. I used it on my buttplate inlet and I think it worked better than the inletting black I used on my lock. I'm sure both can work fine, but right now the lamp rules!
Eric Smith

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Lamp Black Vrs Inletting Black
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »
I use candle soot.  Works great.  An open flame is a fire hazard, so I am careful with it.  I've never tried inletting black, so I can't compare.

Larry Luck

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:44 AM »
I would have to get the cans of black powder and solvents off my bench if I were to have open flame. Plus I can't stand the smell(stench) of a kerosine lamp run too rich.

Yeah, that's picky, I know, but you find something that works for you and leave it at that.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »
Magic Marker works the best for me. I have used some of the dry erasable markers but I believe the Black Magic Marker is still the best. I just can't stand leaving a candle or lamp burning, especially in the hot summer time (no air in my shop).

That dang inletting black is the messiest stuff I ever tried to use, plus I don't like the way it transfers, maybe I use too much but its hard for me to get a light coat to transfer very well.
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:38:47 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:08 AM »
Ask your dentist for some of the paper they use to mark teeth or crowns when grinding them to adjust the bite. Its very thin but makes a nice black marks and is not messy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:48:22 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »

I use this brush for years, very little black on it, gotta recharge it only occasionally. Not too bad for mess, unless I try to brush my teeth with it. I much prefer this to an open flame.

Offline kutter

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:59:54 AM »
An old tooth brush for the inletting black. Keep scrubbing the existing stuff around. You almost never have to add any additional it seems.  That's a good thing, as it's messy enough as is.

I've used a candle, small oil lamp, even a Zippo. They all work well enough but the open flame of the first two make me avoid them. The Zippo works well for small quick pieces but it's not anything to use on a big project.

** I see Acer already posted with the toothbrush idea. Nice picture and all!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:01:10 AM by kutter »

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
Out-of-fashion lipstick... ;D
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
what do you use if the area is already quite dark?

K
Galations 2:20

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
No open flame for me,don't want to burn my shop down. Never had a problem with inleting black. One little jar lasts about 90 guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ken

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
I prefer lamp black . It is less messy and leaves a good mark. The lip stick also comes in handy to see those hard to see spots like the lock mortice with moving parts ;)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
Blue canode die spotting ink has been recommended to me for dark wood. Have not tried it yet but trust the source enough to give it a whirl.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
Brownell's has inletting GOLD (actually yellow) that will transfer light marks onto dark woods like walnut or rosewood, ebony, etc.

I have some somewhere. As an alternative, titantium white artist oil color might work.

WIth any of these substances, you must apply light films to the metal so you don't get the wood all oily(and pigmented).

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Magic Marker works the best for me. I have used some of the dry erasable markers but I believe the Black Magic Marker is still the best. I just can't stand leaving a candle or lamp burning, especially in the hot summer time (no air in my shop).

That dang inletting black is the messiest stuff I ever tried to use, plus I don't like the way it transfers, maybe I use too much but its hard for me to get a light coat to transfer very well.
Dennis
A suggestion :   and only that:  Mix that inletting black about 50%  or more with petroleum jelly - stretches the product - does the job - comes off your hide easier - and makes that little bottle of black last 20 years or more rather than 10 years or less :)

Offline Captchee

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »

Dennis
ill second that  . been using a big black sharpie marker for years . no mess, no open flaim  and it will transfer 2 or 3 times before it needs a new coat

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
For me,using a lamp or candle is too slow with a larger piece and a small piece gets too hot,not to mention burning fingers with the flame.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Many methods will work.  Lately I've been collecting some soot on a plate or using some bone black and mix either with a touch of oil.  Mix to the consistency you like.  Doesn't take much on the part.  A film is all that is necesary to get a transfer.  For big parts use a big brush.  I like it sort of dry so it doesn't make much of a mess.  On walnut I've been using prussian blue.  A little more messy for sure.

SuperCracker

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
I like using the lamp. I don't leave it lit though. I just keep a lighter on the bench and light it each time. It only takes a second and then I don't have an open flame or stinking lamp oil burning all the time.

I also didn't like the big camp lamp. I took an empty herb bottle with a metal lid and soldered a 1/4" piece of brass tubing through the lid and pulled a wick through it. It's only about 1.5"x1.5"x3"tall so it takes up virtually no space. I also attached a .45 brass to the lid with a small wire to cover the wick with when not in use.

Perfect size lamp easy and for virtually free. It's on the bench here.

Sorry for the mess. lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:37:43 PM by SuperCracker »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
Super, your buttstock is too square, lockpanels too wide.  :o

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »
Look how square and bulky that upper forestock is!!   ;D ;D ;D

I have a lamp like that too Super. and I light it each time cause thats when it makes the most soot. Smoke the part and blow out the lamp...... Now if I could just stop burning my fingers!! :o :o ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

SuperCracker

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
You guys are clearly not familiar with the often under appreciated 2x4 block school of southern rifles.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »
Super, your buttstock is too square, lockpanels too wide.  :o

LMAO , i though he was making one of those P Smith rifles shown in Steel Canvas

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »
Takes a long time to soot the bottom of a barrl with a candle and the small parts get too hot to hold but it works. I used lipstick on a walnut when I had trouble seeing the blak but I don't like the looks I get at the dollar store when I buy it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:19 AM »
No open flame for me,don't want to burn my shop down. Never had a problem with inleting black. One little jar lasts about 90 guns.

I've been using the same jar since my first build. I bought two jars when I started and the second jar is still in the original packaging.  I use an artist's paint brush and rarely have to recharge. No mess.