Author Topic: Musket Restoration  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Feltwad

Musket Restoration
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
Entered in a catalogue Lot  at a  mi litaria auction  as a dismantled musket plus a s/b percussion shotgun so to save it from been scrapped I placed a commission bid and was lucky
The musket was in a poor condition the barrel was thick rust and the tang was broken at the  screw hole, it had a roach belly stock and the top jaw and screw were missing also the triggerguard bow.The barrel tang I welded and extension piece and redrilled the hole,after a rummage through my box of antique triggerguards I found one that fit.
The stock was given a few coats of London oil Finish  and the barrel was re browned and a new top jaw and screw I made.

The musket is a French 1777 model  by the Manufacture Nationale De Tulle on the lock plate is Mre Nle De Tulle.It is a Naval with a Anchor and No stamped on the left hand side of the  butt.

Feltwad

Before Restoration

After Restoration

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:08:54 PM by Feltwad »

Offline TPH

Re: Musket Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »
Sound interesting, got pics?
T.P. Hern

Offline TPH

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
Very nice. As you have noticed, the brass mounts denote that it is the naval issue, also used in French colonial service. Too bad the original stock has been cut back, that is a rare one. What is the barrel length? Interestingly enough, the Commonwealth of Virginia  purchased a number of these brass mounted M1777 muskets shortly after the Revolution for the state militia, one still exists with markings to Rockbridge County. Do you have any history of the gun? Is there any evidence of markings on the top of the barrel other than proofmarks?
T.P. Hern

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
The gun is a 11 gage with a 44inch barrel.The pan is brass and the frizzen has been soled.At some time it would have been fullstocked although there is no evidence of any barrel loops,the only markins on the barrel are the letter B on the underside.As for the history I have none but maybe it may have been a capture from Waterloo.
Felltwad

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:05:31 AM »
It is too bad the stock was cut, But you did a nice looking restoration. Look's Good!!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:14 AM »
At some time it would have been fullstocked although there is no evidence of any barrel loops

It wouldn't have any.  Didn't they use barrel bands on those?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »
The French used barrel bands while the English used pins on the Bessies. We took after the French and used barrel band on our domestic muskets from 1795 to the last musket produced. So, no lugs will be found on the underside.
Nice gun, it is rare and while it has deficiencies, if mine, nothing more would be done to it. You have done a fine job on putting it into a displayable condition and conserving it.
Thank you for showing it around.
Dick

GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
I agree nice job. I've done quite a few old muskets like this and you did just enough to preserve but not kill the personality of the old gun. I do have one suggestion, the fence needs paint.  (That is as funny as I get) Best regards Jack

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Well Jack my wife has been at me about painting that fence but to be honest I would far rather be doing restoration work,maybe get around to it in the spring.

Feltwad

GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
Just tell her you are going for the rustic look. Think how hard it would be to make it look that way. That never worked for me but you could give it a shot. Jack

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »
That's a fine job you made of it! And that old gun may have more stories to tell than a complete  musket ever would. A lot of these pieces helped America move west in the early days and fed many a pioneer family.  To my mind they hold an important place in our history and are well worth the effort it takes to preserve them.

Offline TPH

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
Feltwad, you have done a good job with it as far as it goes, good of you to preserve it as it is, many would have taken the original, full length barrel and original flintlock and sold them, dispersing the parts to the winds - a bad practice. Hopefully someday someone will restore it fully but it will be a tough project. The barrel bands (front and rear of brass, the middle band and sling swivel should be steel)  alone will be nearly impossible to find, not to mention the correct ram rod for the French Colonial musket. Did I mention that? The "anchor" marking represents, of course, naval property, but the musket is meant for land service in the French colonies, it is properly called the Colonial Musket. The Navy Musket would have had all brass bands and brass sling swivels. You've done well and congratulations on the acquisition - I have to admit, I  am envious.  :)
T.P. Hern