Author Topic: Because I fell in a creek.....  (Read 8767 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Because I fell in a creek.....
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:42 PM »
Long story, but sometime back, and in the winter, I was out hiking late in the day with some folks not too accustom to being in the out-of-doors.  Long about sundown, I was going to impress them with my flint & steel fire making ability.  Crossing a small creek to get to a great spot, I stepped on a loose stone and went head first into the drink.  Had to pour the water out of my Ted Cash brass tinder box.  Everything was sopping wet and it was now dark.  Luckily, one of the "city slickers" had a BIC lighter.  Very embarrassing situation.

So, not to be caught in that situation again, I made this little brass, waterproof, fire kit.

It holds a couple of strands of charred cotton rope and a few double ended sulfur spunks.  The brass can, with a waxed leather washer, keeps everything dry (even if your dumb enough to fall in a creek).  To use, I pinch off a piece of the charred rope and it catches a spark from flint and steel very quickly.  Even easier, if the flint rifle or pistol is unloaded, is to put the piece of charred rope in the pan, close the frizzen and snap the lock.  Either way, I drop the lit char into the cap of the can and touch one end of a spunk to it.  One or two quick puffs of air and the spunk takes light.

The charred rope was also made over an open fire without the use of the usual tin or can with a hole in it.

Well.....might be a waste of time, but I sort of like the look of it..and making even useless things keeps me out of trouble.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:15:24 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Because I fell in a creek.....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:37 AM »
Looks PRETTY usefull to me.  ;D     Smylee

RoaringBull

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:40 AM »
Its amazing how someone with talent can turn a simple cylinder into a functional work of art. Beautiful stuff there!

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
Dave, you got talent! Probably not PC, but I like it!
Eric Smith

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
Well, the char cotton, the spunks, the flint, and the steel are all PC...maybe not the engraved brass can.  But then, it's a lot less embarrassing to pull out of a pouch than a BIC lighter.... :)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »
What's not PC about brass shaped into a cylinder?  I think you've really got something there, tell us how you fabricated the tube and it's dimensions.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:17 AM »
Bull,

Good point about a brass tube being PC.  Actually I repair antique scientific instruments for a couple of collectors and I was working on a small telescope (part of a surveying instrument) when I got the idea for this.  The telescope was made of thin brass tubing and had a threaded end cap that held the eye piece lens in place.  So I just cut a short length of 7/8" diameter tubing (which I had on hand) and machined threads in the end of the tube.  I made a matching cap out of brass bar.   The bottom is closed out with a soldered disk.

The tubing could also be made out of thin sheet the same way I have made some copper tubes for other instruments I have repaired.  This photo shows a die I made to draw tubing 1/2 inch in diameter out of any convenient metal:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:14:46 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »
Dave, can I come stand in a corner of your shop for about a year? How about if I promise to keep quiet and clean up every night? :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
Kermit,

I tell you what, you can come stand in my shop any time, and I hardly ever clean up ('cause then I can't find anything), so that won't be a problem.  However, my work area is so small we will have to spell one another on station (just like standing watch on a ship.)  On the other hand, my Dad, who is 87, just got his shop up and running in your neck of the woods.  He is in Gig Harbor and has a 4 car garage that is almost all shop space.  I just moved a truck load of his gear up there a couple of months ago and helped get things operational.  Next time I go up to give him a hand, I will give you a call and we can get together.

Dave C
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:41:57 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
On the other hand, my Dad, who is 87, just got his shop up and running in your neck of the woods.  He is in Gig Harbor and has a 4 car garage that is almost all shop space.  I just moved a truck load of his gear up there a couple of months ago and helped get things operational.  Next time I go up to give him a hand, I will give you a call and we can get together.

Dave C
Dave, I am just up the road about 15 miles in Bremerton.  I plan to retire from the shipyard next May.  I have been in my new 24 x 36 shop for about 3 years now.  When you get back up this way give me a yell as well.
By the way, I like your fire kit very much, PC or not.  I also will have to try using a draw tube on my next brass powder measure. 
Dave R
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:28:11 PM by David Rase »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
David,

I will do that.   Would love to meet you.

I have made draw dies for tubing from 1/8" up to 1".  I use them mostly for silver and gold work as it is hard to get tubing in those materials in particular sizes and consistently.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:26:50 AM »
Dave & Dave--I'm a bit of a pull upSound from both those locations, on S. Whidbey. Some years ago a similar small gathering resulted in formation of the Puget Sound Elbow Bending Society of traditional wooden boat fiends. Who knows what could happen.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline draken

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Dan,
Beautiful piece of metalwork. :)    ;)Superb craftsmanship on your part.    Sort of reminds me of the Marble Match Safe that was always in my pocket a good sixty years ago.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:50 AM »
A friend asked me to make him one of these fire kits after seeing this old post....I think I should have deleted it.... :o

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
Dave beautiful work as always  ;) 8)-- you have too much time on your hands ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
Time well waisted!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »
Yet another example of your talent at making crisp, detailed art.  :-)  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 03:14:17 AM »
MOST impressive, Dave.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:18 AM »
A friend asked me to make him one of these fire kits after seeing this old post....I think I should have deleted it.... :o

Who fell in the creek this time; you or your friend?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »
Bull,

:)
Here in Southern California in summer, it's hard to find enough water to fill a canteen, let alone fall into....and you don't really need a fire starting kit.  You can just light your pipe from one of the almost continuous brush fires that pass by !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:48:18 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »
Bull,

:)
Here in Southern California in summer, it's hard to find enough water to fill a canteen, let alone fall into....and you don't really need a fire starting kit.  You can just light your pipe from one of the almost continuous brush fires that pass by !
That's both tragic and humorous at the same time;  :o
We're just about as dry here in South Texas but no brush fires so far, thank God.  Ironic now since all the fireworks got cancelled due to rain and thunderstorms the night of the 4th, and not a drop since.
Keep up the good work, in the shade.

Offline RVAH-7

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2022, 07:09:08 AM »
Sir; I have been reading "North of Athabasca" by Lloyd Keith and in a trader's journal he mentions the native really liking the "spunk" in ease of starting fire. Your post opened a new desire to know.
I will melt some sulphur over a fire to dip my pitch slivers in but what I'm wondering is if you would share how you char your cotton rope (around for thousands of years B.C.) without a tin of some kind. Many "primitive" enthusiasts are satisfied charring army surplus cleaning patches in a burned out Sherwin Williams quart can with a modern nail hole. You are really on track and I would like to follow.
Thank you.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 07:38:27 AM »
RVAH-,

Charing cloth or rope or bark (or whatever) without putting it in a tin is fairly easy.  I burry whatever I want to char under about an inch of sand and then build a hot fire on top of it.  The gasses driven out of the organic material can escape through the sand but oxygen will not get back in to consume the carbonized / charred material.  It is even easier to do in a lead casting ladle.  Put whatever you want to char in the ladle, pack it down some, cover the top with sand, and set it on the coals of a hot fire.  When flames stop dancing around on the top of the sand, pull the ladle out of the fire and let it cool.  I have also rolled up some 1/4" diameter cotton rope and then completely wrapped it in river bottom clay.  Poke a very small hole through the clay all th way to the inside and then let the clay dry thoroughly.  When dry, toss it in your next fire.  Let the whole thing cool down and then break away the clay....charred rope ....or whatever.

Best,

david
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline aaronc

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 08:45:16 AM »
Exceptional work as always.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »
Exceptional work as always.
Exceptional and most useful, PC or not.  Love your work Dave.  If you get around to making a few of these I would love one.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."