Author Topic: captured patch box with invisible hinge?  (Read 9794 times)

Offline Dave B

captured patch box with invisible hinge?
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:52:49 AM »
Do any of you have pictures of a invisible hinge for a captured patch box? I saw on e some where I just cant remember exactly where. Maybe it was one of Guslers articles that had a open lid picture of one. Does that sound familiar to any one?
Thanks in advance cuz yall never let a fella  down. ;) ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rsells

Re: captured patch box with invisible hinge?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Gusler has written a couple articles about that type of patch box, but I can't remember if it was in Muzzle Blast or Muzzleloader mag.  I have made one, and it was not that hard to make.  I called Gusler to get the details on how the hinge was made on the inside.  I have been attaching (pinned and then silver sordered in place) two tabs on the under side of the lid and patchbox main body, positioning the two together, cross drilling the parts, and installing one long pin that runs from side to side with about .100 of the pin sticking out on each side.  I inlet the hinge portion of the patchbox with a relatively close fit from side to side and the wood on each side keeps the pin from moving out of the tabs.  Wish I had some pictures, but I haven't taken any.  I am going to make a patchbox this week for an early VA rifle and am in process of making a decision on using a standard type of hinge or the hidden hinge.  If I do the hidden hinge, I can send you a couple of photographs of what I am using. I cut a slight bevel on the front end of the lid and matching surface of the main body allowing the front of the lid edge to slide under the main body in front of the lid, and a slight bevel in the rear of the lid and on the top side the main body allowing the lid to seat on top of the main body in the rear when closed.  Sorry to confuse things a bit.  I am sure that there are other ways folks are doing this, but is the way I  assemble mine.
                                              Roger Sells
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:11:29 PM by rsells »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
Roger, Thanks I would like to see what you are doing for this. I can remember the tabs and the cross pin in my recollection of the one I saw in the the article just as you describe. Do you use a kick open spring? What is your design for that spring?
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
When you say captured patchbox lid, are you talking about one like the one on Tom Casters Bucks Cty rifle on this page?
Eric Smith

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Dave,
PM sent with pictures of a great Hershal House captured lid patchbox.
David
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:08:31 PM by David Rase »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
When you say captured patchbox lid, are you talking about one like the one on Tom Casters Bucks Cty rifle on this page?

A captured box lid is entirely enclosed within a surround and does not extend to the buttplate.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »
I got pretty inspired by some of Wallace's pictures in one of his articles a while back, and when I took a pause from incessantly arguing with him, I built this:

http://www.erickettenburg.com/Site/Virginia_Valley.html#11

Aside from the more complicated release, which I did just to do it because I love cool little lockwork or clockwork type complex mechanisms, the actual hinge mechanism is REALLY easy to implement.  I built this box from cast sheet brass, and I just riveted and hard soldered the tabs on.  There are two tabs on the lid, and two tabs on the surround (one each side, obviously).  You could easily do the same thing but enclose the lid entirely by leaving a piece of brass across the rear of the surround.  All you really need is a slightly longer than average drill bit to make sure that you can keep the drilled hole level without the chuck bumping into the surround when you drill the whole thing through.  You don't need to pein the pin or secure it in any permanent way, as tight inletting of the tabs on the surround will keep it in place once it's installed.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:56 AM »
Wait I just realized that my lid was truly captured. Senile at 40.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
Wait I just realized that my lid was truly captured. Senile at 40.

You were always precocious.  Went to funkytown with that cheekpiece carving!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:12 AM »
I can't really take credit for that, as it's largely lifted from/inspired by the "Running Deer" rifle.  But yes, fun-KAY town indeed!

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
I used a spring similar to what Eric did to push the lid open, but I used a different catch button to hold the lid closed.  I got my patchbox parts cut out and shaped, but did not get them put together due to my better half's to do list.  Should have it completed this week Lord willing.
                                                                                       Roger Sells

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
Dave Rase, sent an example he had come across by Herschel House. It says it all.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
Looks sturdy as Fort Knox!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Whatta ya suppose goes in that little round hole???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
Whatta ya suppose goes in that little round hole???
[/quote
Grease!

cheyenne

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »

Another, this one by Frank House.