Author Topic: Issac Haines Kit  (Read 5544 times)

voyageur1688

Issac Haines Kit
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »
 I recently acquired an Isaac Haines kit that wasa sold by Jim Chambers Flintlocks, and am wanting to do it in the traditional ways they were built. Can anyone tell me what they originally used as a stain/finish on guns in the mid 1700's and what did they do for a barrel treatment? I am wanting to learn how they did it all so I can better know what several of my ancestors who had been gunsmiths at that time went through and what  to expect in work and results.
 Thanks.
 Todd

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Issac Haines Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:19:37 AM »
Todd,

First, your Issac Haines gun is later than the mid 1700's. Haines wasn't established as a gunsmith until 1772 and built guns until into the 1790's. You can't go wrong using Aqua Fortis for the stock staining. After that the finish is open to discussion. Haines worked long enough that he was building at the time that browning became popular so your barrel could be left bright, blued or browned. The same goes for your lock.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:01:47 AM »
Well voyageur1688, you have potentially opened another can of worms.  ;)

There are many threads on both subjects in the archives. Some are lengthy. One thread in the tutorials describes charcoal bluing.

I suggest browsing the archives for an education on building that you can get few other places. There are many topics on many different aspects of building,so enjoy.

40Haines

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:25:29 AM »
Call Jim Chambers, I am sure he knows a bunch about different options..

He is a real nice fellow who takes his time and makes sure you understand the answers to YOUR questions.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
1688, Bowning as a barrel finish is documented to the early 1780's and not before. It could have been used earlier but it hasn't been proven.

Earlier finishes are bright steel and charcoal blue. The blue is probably beyond your current means. Sooo, the barrel should be bright steel . Orrrr, antique the barrel to make it look like a bright barrel with some use.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
I recently acquired an Isaac Haines kit that wasa sold by Jim Chambers Flintlocks, and am wanting to do it in the traditional ways they were built. Can anyone tell me what they originally used as a stain/finish on guns in the mid 1700's and what did they do for a barrel treatment? I am wanting to learn how they did it all so I can better know what several of my ancestors who had been gunsmiths at that time went through and what  to expect in work and results.
 Thanks.
 Todd
I admire your plan!   Les C now!! ;) No electric lights, tools or heat, work outside for the light, little or no sand paper, make most of your own tools, make your own fittings, or most of them etc etc that could get interesting (or @!*% long) ;D

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:16:13 PM »
Oh man, give the guy a break.  Do read the archives though. You can then decide if you really want to use all of the old processes or maybe some more modern ones that will give a very similar if not the same result with less time expense and hassle involved. Look at some of the members websights too as many of them will have useful and facinating information and valuable instruction. Acer's and Eric Kettenbergs come to mind at the moment. Look in the tutorials too. This IS the best thing to come along in the area of historic longrifles. Prepare to be addicted!
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
Here's what I'd do.

Stock: after the wood has been shaped, carved, sanded, etc, etc, raise the grain and scrape it as the last thing before applying the stain, etc. Next, stain it with AquaFortis. Finally, since 18th century varnishes are not generally available, finish it with some modern varnish or an oil finish like the Chambers stuff.

Steel parts: file them down with a really smooth file (or sand to 220) and tarnish them with Birchwood-Casey Super Blue, which is rubbed off with 0 plastic wool and oil. This will leave a silver-gray finish. Super Blue works well on brass too, just wool it off and it will leave the low spots dark.

I've seen references to "russeting" smoothbore barrels well before 1780. The problem with browning American rifle barrels before then is that there is a Geddes gunshop (in Williamsburg) ad of 1751 that says they "blue" and "rifle" barrels. This implies that rifle barrels were blued, and flintriflesmith and the guys at CW say they have seen 18th century and early 19th century rifles with evidence of "heat" bluing on the bottom, where it didn't get rubbed off. The ad says nothing about "browning" or "russeting".

Hope this helps,
Andy

PS: I'm trying to learn to do it the "old" way, check out the link to the Photobucket album of the Martin's Station Gun Shop below.
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Dave Marsh

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »
Andy, I viewed your slide show and that is cool.  Thanks for sharing the photos.