Author Topic: Looking for opinions on unmarked rifle  (Read 12617 times)

Online jdm

• member 2
Re: Looking for opinions on unmarked rifle
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
I've looked through most of the reference books I have. There seem to be several makers that fallowed Hawks style.  I don't know if they were apprentices . It may be that his work was so popular they tried to copy it to futher there own business.
  Jacob Deemer is another maker  that has  a Hawk look to his guns.  He was making rifles about that time and the same area.
  I have seen some rifles with a hole  by the trigger guard . I thought it might be for a sling swivel ? Maybe. Maybe not!
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:42 AM »
The swivel action shown above appears to be from a Roth gun. He seems to have been a contempory of Hawk and somewhat copied the latters style as to PB design and architecture.
I don't see Buck's rifle as being made by either maker. It is almost certainly a Lehigh rifle.
Thanks-Dick 

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 02:49:30 AM »
Jim,
Thanks for pushing on with the possibilities.

Dick,
Thank you for the input. I myself have not payed much attention to the Lehigh makers.

Thank you
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:50 AM »
This rifle and one i have from northampton both have threaded holes at the very front of the triggerguard. If a screw were put there it would go into the ramrod. So why are they there?  Guard appears original to gun.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:23:46 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline gusd

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
Buck,
Looks like Gideon Angstadt's  patchbox design.
Also the side plate.
I'm no expert.
Gus

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »
Rob, could you get a picture up of the threaded hole in front of the trigger guard?
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
When I get a chance.  Life threw us a curveball and I'm all over the place right now.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
Gus,
I had a Gideon Angstadt, its posted in the library here. You are correct  in your observations. The patchbox does have that flavor but this rifle isn't a Angstadt. The stock architecture is different. The stock is much more slender. There are a couple of more that Mr. No Gold mentioned that have the same side plate. Thanks for the post.
Buck