Author Topic: Sheet Brass  (Read 5893 times)

DB

Sheet Brass
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Where do most of you gunbuilders who make your own patchboxes and sideplates and inlays buy from?

mike payne

Re: Sheet Brass
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
The last time I needed sheet brass I just went to Lowe's and got a brass kick plate for a door. You can find them in the hardware dept. I think around 6 or 8 bucks .

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »
I have noticed that places like McMaster-Carr, and MSC carry brass in different alloys, 260, 464, etc. what is the most prefered by some of you past masters for use in creating your excellent work?
Eric Smith

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
 For buying smaller pieces, that is, less than 12"x12" it is easiest for me to just order from Track and has the advantage that I can order something else related to our endeavor at the same time.
Okieboy

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
I buy mine for here

http://www.cut2sizemetals.com/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Our+July+4th+Schedule+-+please+read%21&utm_campaign=2012+July+4th+Schedule&utm_term=Cut2SizeMetals

A tip if you order from here. On their order page click the box "will accept larger if available" if they have a bigger piece than you wanted already cut you will get it for the same price as the smaller.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »
I use the kickplate also, even though it is a little thin, but be careful which one you get. There is one that is solid brass and one that is brass plated. TOW or MBS both handle the thicker stuff in smaller sizes.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
I buy mine for here

http://www.cut2sizemetals.com/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Our+July+4th+Schedule+-+please+read%21&utm_campaign=2012+July+4th+Schedule&utm_term=Cut2SizeMetals

A tip if you order from here. On their order page click the box "will accept larger if available" if they have a bigger piece than you wanted already cut you will get it for the same price as the smaller.

What thickness do you buy for sideplates Micah?   260 mill finish is good stuff.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:11:27 AM »
I used these guys on my last brass order.  I like the Yellow High Brass, Alloy 260 (70% copper, 30% zinc).  It is basically the same composition as cartridge brass.
http://store.metalliferous.com/products.asp?dept=3189

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »
Bought 0.04" thick Nickel Silver (18%) alloy C770 12 x 36" $69.11 + shipping, also 4 ft of 9/16" 360 brass bar from:
www.onlinemetals.com
Shipping both items from Pacific Northwest to Michigan was $30.66, a bit breathtaking but closer sources have higher metal prices and less selection.
Believe they are part of ThyssenKrupp VDM, German metal producers.

PicklockPat

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
 Hi I'm new here and wanted to give a heads up on sheet brass and nickelsilver.
 I use quite a bit of both and have found this place ( fewproducts.com )  to have the absolute lowest prices on this material. Even cheape than knife maker supply houses!
  It comes in 12X12 inch sheets and protected on one side with clear peel off film. Only place I know of that does this.
 I am in no way affiliated with this supplier other than as a customer. PLP
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:05:52 PM by PicklockPat »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
I don't find fewitems.com on the net
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

PicklockPat

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »

Sorry It's few products.com  D'Oh!! I will try to edit the other post.
 PLP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
For the few thicknesses they have the price is definitely low... question is what the alloy is?  They don't say online. The price is worth a call.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

PicklockPat

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
For the few thicknesses they have the price is definitely low... question is what the alloy is?  They don't say online. The price is worth a call.

I believe it to be 260 but wouldn't swear to it.
 The NS sheet is 18% Nickel

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
The last time I needed sheet brass I just went to Lowe's and got a brass kick plate for a door. You can find them in the hardware dept. I think around 6 or 8 bucks .

The one and only brass kick plate I tried would not anneal by the common methods, and was very hard to bend or work. It was even a tad hard to file.  It had to be a different alloy mix from the norm. It was old. Possibly from the fifties.