Author Topic: I Ain't No Mike Brooks  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
I Ain't No Mike Brooks
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Here's my stab at a Frenchie gun. 20 gauge x 42". M&G lock. Walnut. Brass.
I bought this 2nd hand M&G kit at a price I couldn't refuse. I knew it had some problems. I found more as I went along.

I replaced the lost fly, chipped tumbler and a busted sear. Just when I finally thought I had it all together, the cock snapped in two. Went to order one & TOW was outta stock. I chose this one instead of the one it's suppose to have. Cheese'n crackers got all muddy.

OK. I got all that repaired & replaced. Here's my attempt at a frenchie gun.
I ain't no photographer either. :/

Offline Eric Smith

Re: I Ain't No Mike Brooks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
That looks nice. Let us know how it shoots. Good job on a difficult build.  If you hadn't told us about the trials and tribulations of the build, I would have never known.
Eric Smith

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
Nice job, especially considering what you were up against from the start.  Came off pretty well over all.

I know the side plate is proper but I always hated that one as it makes the side panel look way too looooooong.

Why do you feel it was necessary to replace the lost fly with the single trigger?  Did you make it?

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
Nice job, especially considering what you were up against from the start.  Came off pretty well over all.

I know the side plate is proper but I always hated that one as it makes the side panel look way too looooooong.

Why do you feel it was necessary to replace the lost fly with the single trigger?  Did you make it?

Enjoy, J.D.
Now I wish I'd have made a different side plate too but I didn't. I was having all kinds of problems with the lock. It would catch on the halfcock notch. I thought the fly was the answer. It wasn't but it was my 1st attempt to get it to fire. My eyes ain't no good no more so I missed the chipped tumbler & sear which I then thought was the problem. It wasn't. There was a little extra wood in the sear hole. Missed it right off. Got them replaced & I was rubbing my hands together thinking,"Viola. I got it". 1st time over the top half of the cock flew across the shop. So, 4 different orders from TOW finally cured the lock problems. I think I paid enough in shipping of the separate orders to get a whole new lock. I'm such a dork at times :/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:44:14 PM by Keb »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »
Most of us find ourselves in the "recovery mode" quite often. Helps to sit back and just think about what's going on (sometimes several times). It makes your next build a little easier.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
Way to stick with a difficult build to completion. It turned out very well. Thanks for sharing.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
Looks good from here- nice lines.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »
Most of the time I'm no Mike Brooks either. :D What trigger guard and buttplate did you use?  I think your gun came off well.....except for that blasted banana lock on a French gun  :P I know you had no control of that. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
Ok, I see.You "un cow footed" a fusil de chasse. Must have been lots of wood on that precarve before you started! You ought to start from a blank next time. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »
I don't think there will be a next time. I'm gonna hang up my rasps & chisels I think. My eyesight and quality sensors ain't what they use to be. It's too easy for me to say, "That'll do". After my wife died, I got back into making these guns with a purpose in mind (and therapy). That was to build each of my children something to remember me by. That has been accomplished. In fact, I can also give each grandchild one now. I've now got 11 and 3 children & 7 grands. That leaves 1 for me to shoot. I have a walnut fowler I'm pretty fond of that I can't hit $#@* with but I may just stick with that one.
Yer pal, Keb

Oh, on an aside. I know this doesn't have nothin to do with anything but I just wanted to put this in print. Today would have been my wife's 62 birthday.
Happy birthday, Hon. I miss you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:36:22 PM by Keb »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
Keb,
I hate to think of you kicking the addiction and hanging up your rasps and chisels!!! you are way to young! I a sure that bride of yours would want you to keep creating... think of all the lives you could bring joy into with a long rifle!!

Besides we will haunt you... good enough is the way many of the originals had build their guns... makes yours more authentic!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
I do have one other gun to finish. I started it in 1995. Was making it for my wife. She couldn't camp & shoot no more so we stopped. I sold everything except some smelly old breechcloths and a half done .40 caliber x 42" "A" weight Getz, L&R Classic, Wood patch box, stripy maple wooded  rifle. It sat in the closet for many years. I dug it out and decided I'd finish it in 2010. Well, I got it shootable but needs carved & finished. I will get it done one of these days. I promise.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
I think I'd sell the breech cloths and buy some more gun parts. ;D You're going to get bored out of your gourd if you don't find something to do.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
I agree with Mike totally, Gotta keep on going. Who knows what the future holds. Order a new blank of wood and start to dreaming of the possibilities.
Eric Smith

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
Keb, though I never met your wife, I bet she would have wanted you to finish that rifle, and would be happy that you are thinking of her on her birthday.

From what I see in your Frenchie gun, you still have enough eyesight and sensors left to build more fine looking guns.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
Oh, I got lots to do. Me & a widow woman travel & rondyvoo together. We just got back from Alaska and are headed to the Eastern, then the Southeastern & then to Tennessee for Thanksgiving. Go, go, go... :)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:45 AM »
HANG UP YOUR RASPS AND CHISELS!!!!!

Thats just crazy talk, and we won't have it in here.  That is a fine looking piece.  I studied Mike Brook's work when I was building mine as well although I never tried to completely copy, I just like his common sense style about things. 

Fantastic stuff my friend.

Coryjoe

Offline cmac

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 04:28:30 AM »
I'm kinda shocked you had that much trouble with the M&G lock. I've had great luck with them and they REALLY stand behind their work. Nice gun!

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
I have  another M&G lock (Barker~Whatley) the cock broke in the same place. I'm not slamming Larry Zorn, M&G or their products. Sometimes stuff just happens. I'd use an M&G or Davis lock again without any hesitation.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
Many of us here, are long on the tooth and short on the years.
You have done a FINE job on that Frenchie, and owe it to yourself to be creative and make more of whatever you wish to do.
That is what keeps us going.
Finish that .40, one of the kids will carry it proudly.
Every stumble along the way is what gives us experience.
If it all fell together like a pre cut kit, there would be no personal joy of achievement.
I wish you well, and share your loss.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline cmac

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
Have you talked with Zorn? My dad has a type D fowler with M&G parts. The main spring snapped years ago. When he called to buy a new one Zorn sent him a new spring with out charge

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
I haven't talked to him since I had the lock problems. Here's my take on this hobby & most manufacturers. The man is trying to make his living doing what he does. Warranty work cost him profit. I'd much rather spend a few dollars on something that broke while in my possession as long as I don't feel I am being taken advantage of than demand replacements and put a strain on his business. I don't think the problems I had with these locks were Larry Zorn's fault anyway. I'd sure buy more of his stuff and recommend his products to anyone, anywhere, anytime.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:19:14 PM by Keb »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Hear hear!  That's a rare and honorable approach to a problem- fix it if you can, don't look to complain, blame,  or badmouth.
Andover, Vermont

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:40 AM »
Larry stands behind his parts and work....Good honest man....

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Larry stands behind his parts and work....Good honest man....

Yep. Larry is a good guy. I met him once & like him.

Hear hear!  That's a rare and honorable approach to a problem- fix it if you can, don't look to complain, blame,  or badmouth.

I gotta say this. Screw me over and I'm on you like stink on s**t. Most of the people in this hobby are good honest people. Some aren't. I've only run into one guy that was a low life bum in all my years of activity. He misrepresented his product, did crappy work, and lied to cover his back side. Pitiful... He is on my "what stink is on" list and can do nothing to get off of it.