Author Topic: wear and fading on scrimshawed horns?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
wear and fading on scrimshawed horns?
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »
I love the several books on museum quality original horns with scrimshawed designs and lettering.  I can look at them for hours.  However I find that some horns I made in the 1970's seem to show more wear on the "body" side and more fading of the inking than many originals 250 years old.  They must have had some super ink and done some deep work back then.  Wow, some of those designs really "pop".  Might be some zealous restoration went on at some point in time.

Do any of you tone your scrim work down and add some "wear" on the body side when you make "aged" horns?  Not trying to get into a moral discussion here, just wondering what some of you do for authenticity, if you make a piece that might intend to show 10, 15, 420 years of use.
Andover, Vermont

Wild Willy

Re: wear and fading on scrimshawed horns?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:25:57 AM »
I only do this when it is requestd or I am making a museum reproduction.  If you use India ink your gonna lose it.  India ink is only good in the short term.  If you use a true India ink.  Let it age and then take a wiff.  It will stink.  It's a natural ink and really doesn't contain the cleanest items.  If you want ink that will really last, use Higgins Eternal.  It will stay black forever.  If you want to assure it will always be in the lines, rub clean fat onto the horn.  The rule of thumb is fat to fat-oil to oil.
If it was an animal use an animal by-product.  If it was a plant use a vegetable base oil.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
Rich,

I have never antiqued a horn to much of any extent. The most I do is color them. I really don't care for the horns that are severely antiqued or the ones that have so much gunk on them that you can't see all the scrimshaw. Although it does seem that you don't have to put all the work into a horn if you are planning on antiquing or ageing them to any extent.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
I love the several books on museum quality original horns with scrimshawed designs and lettering.  I can look at them for hours.  However I find that some horns I made in the 1970's seem to show more wear on the "body" side and more fading of the inking than many originals 250 years old.  They must have had some super ink and done some deep work back then.  Wow, some of those designs really "pop". 

Rich,

Some horns wear in use more than others.  The hardness/densifty of horn varies widely.  I have had some cattle horns that were rather soft while others were rather hard.

As to the ink.
When you look back at that period of time there were two major forms of ink in use.
"Oil blacks" go way back in time.  Until the 19th century these oil blacks were made on a fairly small scale.  They took an animal or vegetable oil and burned it on wicks in a chamber with a limited air supply.  Specifically to produce incomplete combustion with a "sooty" flame.  Suspended over these wicks were glazed porcelain plates or disks on which the soot would collect.  These were then periodically removed from the chamber and the oily soot removed.  These oil black inks were the most expensive to produce.
As a horn ink it would require some sort of binder to bond it to the horn.  Old formulas sometimes used shellac as a binder with alcohol in the water carrier to dissolve the shellac. Since the horn structure is slightly porous the shellac will act as a binder when dry.
Then there was the common writing ink using a mixture of ferrous sulfate ( copperas) and either tannic acid powder or gallic acid powder.  Gallic acid powder was the most frequently used.  Arrived in the hands of the user as a dry powder to be mixed in water by the user.  When used as scrimshaw ink on a protein based horn it will chemically bond to the surface of the horn.  Not easily rubbed off since it is physically/chemically bonded to the horn.  Since this ink forms an iron oxide tannate on the horn it will not fade as an organic dye would.